Convert ordinary worktop to granite

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Sean Hodges, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

I've heard that it is possible to stick a thin (1cm?) layer of granite over an existing worktop, with another strip along the front to make it look like a solid stone worktop.

Can anyone here comment on whether this works, and how to search for firms that offer this as a service? Doesn't have a standard name or phrase?

My existing worktop is fine, it's just that granite would make it look a lot smarter, and it seems a waste to chuck out a good structure.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Stick on granite trim is just about as naff and dodgy as you can get, horrendous! Replace the worktops and do it properly if your units are man enough to take the weight.

3. fuster

fuster New Member

www.granitetransformations.co.uk
    It's not naff or dodgy and can be fantastic as long as it is well fitted. I've fitted it myself and it's not just a stick-on trim but a properly manufactured product with the front edge mitred on in the factory. Well worth looking at.

4. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges New Member

Thanks - that's more or less what I had in mind, but I thought there were firms that would do something similar with natural stone?

Using your site I estimated £1600 for my worktop, based on their stated price of £600/m2

What would be the rough cost for 4.5 linear metres of normal granite worktop cost (standard cutouts for top-mounted sink and 60cm hob, one right-angled join)?

I'm only looking for a rough idea - I have no idea at all what stone tops cost.

5. iinHaus

iinHaus New Member

www.iinhaus.co.uk
    We can overlay any suitable existing worktop with our 7mm thick quartz product. 4.5 linear m's would be £1260 which includes - Templating, fabrication and fitting of the quartz surface, removal and re-fitting of sink and hob.

6. Willyleckay

Willyleckay New Member

I agree with fuster ,,,,,,,granite transformations is a great job and great product...... And if your lucky it will be me fitting it . MiniQ is another good product but pure quartz , a lot of granite trans are made up of glass, my own top looks like bud bottles smashed up and made into a slab loll probably is ,,,nigel

7. Biochef

Biochef Member

I'd fancy one with bottle tops
    Every time I open a bottle or cork a bottle of wine I fling them on top of wall unit so maybe I have enough already to make my own :rolleyes: