cooker circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Essexlad, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Essexlad

Essexlad New Member

Hi all
    I'm in middle of refitting new kitchen and originally had gas hob and electric cooker but now will be putting in a 4ring ceramic hob which is 6.6kw and a 2 ring ceramic hob which is 3.0kw and and a built-in oven which is 3.45kw and the cooker circuit supply is on a 20amp just wanted to know if the circuit can handle all the appliances on the 20amp or will I have to get a higher mcb or an extra circuit put in will be getting a electrician in to do it of course but don't want to put all base cabinets in then have to take out to run new extra cooker circuit

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

What size is the cable?

Essexlad likes this.
  3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

You would need two 32A cooker circuits. Both wired in 6mm2 T&E via 45A double pole switch. The standard default no need to calc cooker circuit. Put the 4 ring ceramic hob on its own 32A circuit and bang the other two on the other 32A circuit. That's how I would do it. There are other ways, but, no, a 20A circuit is no longer adequate.

Essexlad and longboat like this.
  4. Essexlad

Essexlad New Member

Hi Seneca thanks for your reply just had a quick look the grey cable running to cooker socket looks 10-12 mm wide if it's helps can't undo front of cooker socket at this min to see what internal size is I'm sure it's 6 mm2

5. Essexlad

Essexlad New Member

Hi unphased
    Thank you for your reply I did think it would not be man enough was hoping just up Mcb to easy lol I will ring a a local electrician to get it sorted at least I no not to fully fit kitchen cabinets yet as for the easiest run he will have to run in trunking behind units once again thanks for your reply

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

10-12mm wide could be 2.5 or 4 mm Typical sizes are 5.3x9.9 >> 2.5mm; 6.1x11.4 >> 4mm; 6.8x13.1 >> 6mm they do vary a little from those dimensions and normally 2.5 is solid with 4 and above being stranded.

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

The current guidance on cooker circuits allows 15kW on a standard 32A radial circuit wired in 6mm2 T&E on a 32A MCB.

This is because it allows for diversity as in practice all the elements would never be on simultaneously.

If you already had this 'standard type' of Cooker Circuit in place I would leave it as is.

Being as you haven't then it would do no harm to run a 10mm supply in.

You certainly don't need 2 supplies.

8. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

i normaly know the diff between the 30amp cooker cable and the 45amp cooker cable by the earth 30amp has a solid earth the 45amp has a stranded earth (have to watch tho as some of the old instal cable all had stranded earth) then from there work out the distance just to be sure the cable can take the 45amp over the distance (had one once that had 45amp cable but on a 30amp fuse due to the distance)

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I would have to caution against referring to 30A cable or 45A cable, as frankly there is no such thing.

The current-carrying capacity of a cable can vary greatly depending on how it is installed.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hmm. Not sure I follow, Lucinda. Imperial sized T&E would have multi-strand cpc, metric 6.00mm2 has single core cpc. Both were/are traditionally used for 30A/32A cooker circuits. The SWITCH is rated at 45A, not the cable.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  11. tina lucinda lane

yes well we dont all live in the world of books and know everything so sometimes use laymans terms thank you i know there is really no such thing however there are standard uses at standard amps that certin cable sizes are used for thats all

12. tina lucinda lane

yea it was an old instal

13. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I don't agree. Never during my working life has anyone asked me to fit "30A cable". They would specify the cross-sectional area.

And if I was designing a job then I would work out what was needed based on the installation method and Cc Ci Cg Ca Cr etc., volt drop (if it came into play), Zs etc.

14. tina lucinda lane

well most common cable size for sockets, most common size for lighting circuits, most common size for cookers most common size for a shower (all based on small run length ie not needing up rateing etc) and the normal rateing on said cable?

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

All sparks will speak in cable size, not "lighting cable" etc.

16. tina lucinda lane

yea but you wouldnt use 1.5mm cable for a ring final (socket circuit would you?)

17. tina lucinda lane

think about when breaker rateings where changed to take advantage of metric cable size how long did it take to get use to saying the new number (all im saying is there anything wrong calling something a slang term or based on its common use? Or is against the regs) i want to learn (no jokes or scarasam ment btw)

18. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

No, but you may use 4 or even 6 if required.

19. tina lucinda lane

ok fair play (but kind of knew that 1) i know in tec the spark lecture often refared to cable size by what it was often used for to test how quickly you could pick out the right size from the un labeled reels on offer) and always wanted to know was this right as i say based on a common circuit not needing up rating

20. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Every spark I know (and me) calls cable by it's sizing.
    Can I get a drum of 2.5? or Can I get a drum of 27A rated cable?

I've never heard of someone calling it by its common use, unless its in an installation, where it makes sense to call it the 'cooker cable' as opposed to '10mm'.

tina lucinda lane likes this.