cooker circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Essexlad, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

A customer may ask "can you install a shower cable", we then interpret the request, determine the load, the install method etc, and fit a cable of the correct size. 6, 10, even 16mm. Electricians work to sizes, customers to names.

tina lucinda lane and Joe95 like this.
  2. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

thanks guys still getting my head round some of the sizes and how to be able to pick them out by general things (simple things like solid or stranded general feel etc)

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Agree that cable is always referred by its size. Certain cables have typical applications (e.g. 2.5mm is typical final ring) but its size that matters ;) "Oven" cable might be 4, 6 or 10mm depending on what is being connected.

4. tina lucinda lane

thanks guys sorry for my bitchyness earlier just that time of the month lol

5. slippyr4

slippyr4 Member

Best way to determine cable size is to read what's embossed on the side of it. (For modern cable)

6. tina lucinda lane

i know that sadly not all cable has that and if its in conduit and you can only see one end its hard to tell

seneca likes this.
  7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Good answer there Tina!

tina lucinda lane likes this.
  8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Only yesterday someone asked on a 'for sale site' on Facebook, if anyone had 1m of cooker cable, in my experience Joe public generally have no idea about csa and current carrying capacity or derating, that's where us sparks come in.

Fortunately someone on Facebook had some 'cooker' cable and the last post was 'thanks, fitted and working'.....:confused:

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I recall seeing an assistant in Focus Doitall explaining to a customer that to determine the size of the cable you measured across the width. He duly took his tape measure to a coil of cable and measured the width. There you go, thats 10mm cable.

seneca likes this.