Cooker fuse keeps tripping

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bigalex, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Bigalex

Bigalex New Member

I've just had an electrician rewire my new kitchen including new fuse box but the new cooker switch keeps tripping the RCD switch on the fuse box. As he's gone away for the weekend I can't get hold of him till next week. Could it be something simple?
    It controls the electric cooker and the igniter on the gas hobs.

2. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

your **** till he is back im fraid unless you know what you are up to. Sorry just being honest.

[Edited by: admin9]

3. X

X New Member

Could it be something simple?

Yes it could be a simple wireing mixup... But then again it may be a fault with the cooker or igniter

4. Why not try switching off the cooker at the main switch on your wall in the kitchen...(It should be big and marked cooker and be within 2 metres of the cooker.)
    At least you will be able to use the rest of the kichen until the sparky can come and sort it.

5. Bigalex

Bigalex New Member

Cheers mate, but already done this. It's when I turn this switch on that the RCD switch trips.

6. DandMElectrical

DandMElectrical New Member

Wait until he gets back and ask him to fix it.

Surely that is the sensible thing to do.

If you start messing with it it could end up damaged when there might only be something simple wrong with the circuit.

My advice is to leave it well alone.

7. X

X New Member

Just out of intrest..

Was it tested and working before he left... ?

8. Bigalex

Bigalex New Member

Wiring in the new cooker was the last job he did but it was on when we left(I went out when he left). When I got back about 7 hours later the RCD switch had tripped. It wouldn't flick back so I had to turn everything he did off and eliminate them one by one.

9. X

X New Member

Unplug the hob ignitor and try..

Ensure that all cooker switches are off and try..

Get the menus from the local take-aways and settle in for a long weekend

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Leave it alone until he gets back. I would hate to have a customer of mine fecking about with something before I had had achance to rectify it. Had a customer do this once when I had wired a lighting circuit off a switched live by mistake. She got a neighbour in to "check it all out" then called me back. Was fecked off by it.

UP

11. X

X New Member

All the guys doing is isolating the cause...

IMHO he is doing the 'sparks' a favour with the appliance fault finding... as if it had been incorrectly wired, the fault would of shown up straight away.

when I had wired a lighting circuit off a switched live by mistake

Hmmm..... Sometimes tis better not to admit to things

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

when I had wired a lighting circuit off a switched
    live by mistake

Hmmm..... Sometimes tis better not to admit to things

Well I don't mind admitting I'm human and actually do make mistakes. . It was a 2-gang two-way switch wired "feed switch" method. I was adding an outside light and converting to a 3-gang switch. I belled out all the lives (or so I thought) and wired on an outside light, off one of the switched lives. So it worked fine on all but one switch setting (off the landing) which she found out and instead of calling me back to ask me to check it she called in the neighbour. He hadn't got a clue so she called me and I knew straight away what I had done.

UP

13. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

i have done that too looping up, dont give a ** bout addmitting it as anyone who says they dont make balls ups is...well a liar. I was looping at the roses and had to do bout 12 in a line with varios switching points - fell into auto mode thinking about something else and at the end one i realise i had lost my feed bout 6 roses back. Some choice word were said let me tell you. :)

[Edited by: admin9]