Cooker Hood Ducting Kit

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Des Lavender, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Good morning, having bought a B&Q IT kitchen (yeah, have a laugh!) I have come to the stage of fitting the Cooke & Lewis cooker hood. It has been supplied with a short (around 400mm) corrugated ducting pipe, a reducing collar and an external vent flap. There's no mention of how to turn the vertical outlet into a horizontal one so I can get it through the wall! There's a vague illustration suggesting a curved section on top of the pipe but nothing really helpful. I've just read that rigid pipes are preferred to flexible ones but would be happy enough with one of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-cooker-hood-kit-125mm/17489

Once I've double-checked the required diameter is there anything in particular I should watch out for? Is there an issue with hiring the correct size bore bit to drill the wall? The instructions also refer to "Aluminium Tape" to go on the base of the ducting at the hood; what should I use?

Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't even bother with 125mm kit, go for 150mm, most hoods use that size nowadays, futureproof you if you ever upgrade your hood.
    Tape the joins with aluminum tape to make them air tight, install pipe with slight fall to outside, will allow any moisture to run out.

How long is the run?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You 150mm (6") 90 Deg Ridid Round Bend, 150mm to 125mm threaded connector,a 150mm external gravity flap, & short length of 150mm pipe.

4. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

Well the I/D of the pipe is 125mm and the O/D about 132mm. The actual opening from the hood is around 145mm. What sort of aluminium tape do I need? It's only going to be the shortest of runs; out of the hood, turn through 90 degrees and out through the wall. Can you hire drill bits big enough to accommodate 150mm?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually 125mm ducting uses a 127mm core bit, so yours 132mm is a bit odd:confused:so would need a 135mm core bit, for 150mm you use a 152mm core bit,& also hire correct drill as well.

As it's such a short run could use 125mm instead of 150mm rigid ducting,if you change hood to 150mm could use adapator, as to aluminum tape,just use duct tape on such a short run, it's cheaper, plus you can use for other jobs.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Des Lavender

Des Lavender Member

That looks like a very useful link, thanks. I think I will just about be able to get away with that - the distance between the top of the reducer and my ceiling is just 200mm. My little BOSCH SDS has just given up the ghost so I was wondering, what replacement would be man enough to do the job?

8. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I use a cheapo Titan 5kg SDS drill and that cores 127 and 152 fairly easily through masonry and concrete block. If you opt for the 125mm conduit, get a rigid pipe to go through the wall and connect onto the end. Trying to fit the flexible conduit stuff through the wall in one piece is simply far too frustrating and time consuming!