Cooker Hood Extrator needs to go through the roof to vent

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by davidrf, Dec 9, 2016.

1. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Hi
    Just moved into a new (OLD COTTAGE) house that has an extension at the back. The kitchen is located here. Just had to fit a new extractor for the cooker and found the old extractor was not connected at all.
    So i am going to have to put ducting out through the ceiling and out through the roof (as this is the easiest option)
    Can anybody give me advice on how best to duct out through the roof.
    I have already opened the ceiling and the ducting can go through the roof space and out through the tiles but what is the best method to get the maximum extraction.
    Any advice on what actual products to purchase to do the job would be great.
    Thank you in advance for your advice
    David

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A ordinary cooker or a range, what width of hood, the better hoods are more powerful & use 150mm ducting.

What the length of run you looking at for ducting.

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    Often the the extractor is in fact a filter that recirculate the air through a filter and not actually extract.

With extraction, especially vertical, condensation is the issue, the moisture inthe air will condense and trickle back

Regards
    Peter

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better through the wall.:)

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I agree. Core through the wall is also much easier to do than going through roof tiles.

PVC flexible ducting increases noise as air resistance is increased, as opposed to using fixed plastic ducting. Condensation would also sit in the ribs of flexible ducting.

David, does the extractor you purchased have a rear or top exit? As Kiaora said, extractors also come in a ductless option.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a problem if top, can use round bend or round to flat retangular bend.

upload_2016-12-9_22-0-7.jpeg

Joe95 likes this.
  7. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Width of ducting is 150mm. hood is 90cm
    CDA EVP91SS 90cm Chimney Hood
    Ducting run is straight up about 1.5 metres no bends
    Kiab

Someone recommend it being vented out using a KLOBER UNI LINE SLATE VENT (any ideas if this is preferred over a small flue?) Thank you all for your replies

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  8. davidrf

davidrf New Member

CDA EVP91SS 90cm Chimney Hood top exit extractor and it has to go through the ceiling then through the roof as it cannot go out of the wall

9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Yes, but rear exit would be much neater. I have a top exit here with a half height kitchen cupboard on top of the extractor, so it cannot be seen.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You’ll need a ducting kit with a 150mm diameter.

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Alright, no need to shout :D

davidrf likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could you vent it through the eaves?

[​IMG]

Can then put slight fall on ducting, allowing any moisture to run to the outside.

Joe95 likes this.
  13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

You could still go out of the wall with the metal cover still meeting the ceiling, it would be easier to do and you would not notice it from the inside.
    As KIAB said, you can use a 90 bend and go straight out of the wall
    I have done it with this style of extractor.

Are you sure you definitely want to go out of the roof?

14. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Didn't refresh the page so i didn't see this before posting:oops:, oops.

16. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Hi Joe thanks for the reply. Tomorrow we are going to investigate taking it through the roof space but out through the wall there. Unfortunately it has to go up through the false ceiling as there are cupboards next to the extractor. But we know the roof space is one void as we have cut whole in the ceiling today. Thank you for your advice David

17. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Kiab Thank you for your reply as mentioned in my post to Joe going to investigate if it can go through the wall. We never took into consideration condensation so more investigation needed tomorrow David

18. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Take assessment of the roof gradient, you would ideally need to know the fall/degree of the roof to choose the right roofing vent. Also take note of how the roof is laid, is it slate only, paper and tile etc. as this will be important for working out how to properly seal and insulate the new hole you open up.

davidrf likes this.
  19. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sounds like it's going to be a long run to vent outside do use solid pipe instead of flexi ribbed stuff

Can also add a condensation drain to the vertical pipe up to roof. Generally available for 100, 125, 150 mm pipes and connect to 21mm overflow pipe and out through soffit

Insulate the pipe as well with some type of foil, bubble wrap blanket to help minimise condensation forming

Try to keep pipe run as short as possible and minimum bends. Depending on what tiles are on roof, a weathering slate will allow the pipe an exit whilst maintaining a seal

davidrf likes this.
  20. davidrf

davidrf New Member

Hi Dave just measured from the extractor to the roof is around 1 metre to go through the slate roof so its not such a long run. Thank you for the advice on the overflow pipe will look into that as well