Cooker hood new build

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jay459, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Moving into a new build in the next couple of months. Kitchen will be going in start of August. Should I insist on a vented extractor fan, is this compulsory on new build houses..?

We are looking the glass/stainless island type hood, is it more expensive to vent these outside?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely go for vented.

If rectangular ducting is installed between the joists before ceiling is fitted, then there shouldn't be much additional cost.
    Make sure it's well supported, & insulated otherwise the warm air cools & you get condensation forming & sometimes mould will form inside the ducting.
    Most extractor hood outlets are 6" diameter, & the ducting should have the same capacity,otherwise extractor performance is affected,so you would be looking at around 220 x 90mm rectangular ducting.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. snezza30

snezza30 Member

It is compulsory to have a vented extractor fan fitted in a new build property/kitchen.

Are you having an Island in the kitchen?

If so, have you considered a downdraft hood such as the one in my photo to the left? They are really efficient, but the ducting would need to be fitted in the floor during the building process.

Just a thought!!!!

Snezza.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always forget those downdraft extractors, really like them, but they are not cheap, extortionate prices in my opinion.

Some of them have a 1600M3 per hour extration rate:eek:, some serious extracting.

6. snezza30

snezza30 Member

That is true Kiab, they aren't cheap...., but I have often found that some ceiling mounted hoods can be about the same sort of money and with them hanging down from the ceiling, can often ruin the clean look of a modern, contemporary kitchen.
    I have fitted quite a few downdrafts recently and after doing so, would recommend them highly. Being so close to the source of the cooking smells just makes them so efficient!!!!!

Worth the extra money....!!!!! IMHO.

PS. They must be fitted to 150mm diameter ducting though to ensure maximum efficiency and to keep within manufacturers warranty terms.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I still have the 2" scar from headbutting a wall mounted extractor hood at my previous place.
    Downdraft extractors are so much neater,stylish,safer & in the long run worth the cost.

8. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I texted the builder yesterday enquiring about this and he said to ask the kitchen man. Surely if the ducting should be above the ceiling with a vent on the outside wall this should have been done by the builders.

Is this def a requirement for new builds in Northern Ireland? Can't seem to access that planning regulations??

9. snezza30

snezza30 Member

If the builder was aware that an island hood was going to be fitted then the ducting should have been fitted by them. Failing that, the builder should have notified the Client that someone else would need to fit it.
    Surely they cant expect the kitchen fitter to start pulling down new ceilings or pulling up new chipboard flooring to gain access....!!!!!

Have the Builders put an electrical supply in for the hood?

I'm not so sure what the Regulations are in Northern Island, but I would assume that as its part of the UK, the same regulations would apply.

10. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Apologies, I referred to an island hood by mistake. I thought that's what you called these glass/stainless hoods.

The hood will be against the wall above the hob and cooker.

I've also called down to a friends house whose kitchen was done by the same people. There is rigid ducting across the top cabinets. And out through a vent in the wall. There's actually two vents, apparently there was an issue with the location of the first one and a second one was fitted...

This is the hood I'm looking at, seems a very good price, cooker and induction hob I'm also weighing up...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...ooker+hood&dpPl=1&dpID=41VAWx4dhgL&ref=plSrch

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/built-...en-stainless-steel-21728669-pdt.html#longDesc

http://ao.com/product/SIH600TC-Stoves-Induction-Hob-Black-29713.aspx

My budget could stretch a little higher but think these are decent enough quality..

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That cooker hood has the opition of using 125 or 150mm ducting. use 150mm & use the
    220 x 90mm rectangular ducting, gives you some future proofing if you ever change your extractor hood.