Cooker hood vent advice

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by AvagoDad, Dec 2, 2016.

1. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

Hi folks, I want to install a hood above my cooker, and duct along the top of cabinet and then out through the wall. I looked outside and about the height of where the vent would be is an airbrick. What do I need to be aware of here and what's the best practice in this situation?

I am willing to buy the right kit to do the job.

Cheers

6c377852fad5ec211d0615bb5e4c3a3f.jpg 8c3a1fdf85c5005e46c48589e8b893af.jpg b04f03daac7faf3cdad032da283d63c4.jpg c3fbb01f770226e19e0d544e6d6e4d67.jpg d99c68ca8192820b15778c0ce932302f.jpg

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What size cooker hood will it be 600mm wide or range size 900mm+

Some cooker hoods require ducting 125-150mm diameter.

so will have a big pipe on show above the units.

Don't think air brick is in use as cupboard is in the way.

3. That vent is in exactly the right place for your needs :). And your brickwork suggest it's a reasonably modern house?

So, I wonder if it was placed there for this purpose? (Tho' a strange thing to put there).

Anyhoo, I can't think of any reason that a modernish house like yours (assuming it is) would have a vent in the outer skin of the wall, but I'd like to know the reason for certain before I removed it and replaced it with a cooker vent.

Who built your house - a national company? Know it's 'style' name? If so, contact the co and ask them.

4. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

It's weird, if you look closely, there is a vent inside which is now covered by the unit. Not sure what the history is with it. The thing is, the outside airbrick isn't in-line with it. Is that common? My biggest concern is that i'd end up filling the cavity with everything the hood was sucking up as the ducting would just sit against the airbrick?

I probably sound a bit special but this is my 1st time messing with walls/ducting etc.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Make sure you don't vent into cavity.
    You can get plastic rectangular ducting that will sit quite flat on the top of your cabinets and then use an adaptor to go to 100mm flexi etc to your hood.

6. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

Yep, I've got a bunch of stuff saved on SF to do the job. Going with rectangular duct.

7. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

So, it would be OK to butt the ducting up to the vent/air brick?

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

No, don't do that, ducting to go through cavity to outer wall.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

This is what I'm confused about. Do I have to cut a hole in the air-brick and then put the duct in it and then the vent cover on top? Or core through until I hit the airbrick and then put the ducting through and up against it?

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Core through. If it takes the air brick out by doing this, then so be it. If you're concerned about ventilation to the cavity, then take a brick out nearby and install another air brick.

11. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

Thanks mate.

12. Not in line?! Jeeepers.

I was going by the outside photo - that vent is exactly where you want it - chust above the run of wall units. I'd assumed that the internal matching vent had simply been boarded over, but you say it's lower down?

I haven't a clue what these vents are for, and why they are out of alignment.

Anyhoo, I'd try and find out about them first - ask your neighbs if they have similar houses.

And when you do fit your cooker vent, do as CGN says - the duct needs to go right through the wall and terminate in a purpose-made vent outlet.

Make sure it's all sealed around it in to the brick - you don;t want rain hitting the vent and trickling along the top of the duct through to inside.

Check out vids and instructions for installing such vents - the 'net should be awash with them.

MLB21 likes this.
  13. Drill an 8/10mm hole from the outside, putting the drill bit through the nearest hole in the airbrick you can to the centre.
    This will then tell you where to drill on the inside.

14. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

So, should I be removed this air brick then and bricking up the outside for the new cooker vent?

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think I would do as Deleted member 11267 says,

Does this mean the air brick is bricked up from inside?

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If the airbrick is exactly in the right place I'd just core through it and put a square grille on. It'll be about 215mm square and the grille for 150 duct will be about 170 sq. Only be about 20mm difference in size all round. If it looks a bit manky cut a square of uPVC sheet to just the same size as the airbrick and sit the grille onto that.

17. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

18. Tricky Dicky

Hi
    My house built in1986, HAD to have two air bricks, the same size as yours, to comply with Building Regs. One was high level like yours, the other was low level, in line with the above, and was at floor plinth level. Memory suggests that it was a requirement to ventilate a pantry/tall cupboard. I promptly injected foam into the brick holes, when we moved in, to prevent the low level draft !
    Regards

19. Tricky Dicky

Hi
    My house built in1986, HAD to have two air bricks, the same size as yours, to comply with Building Regs. One was high level like yours, the other was low level, in line with the above, and was at floor plinth level. Memory suggests that it was a requirement to ventilate a pantry/tall cupboard. I promptly injected foam into the brick holes, when we moved in, to prevent the low level draft !
    Regards

20. Ah! That makes sense, TD - ventilation for a kitchen pantry.

Avago, can you see an equivalent vent near floor level, inside or out?

Anyhoo, almost certainly that vent serves no purpose today, so I'd do as Mr Rusty suggests - get your core drill and make a hole through that existing vent. No point giving yourself extra work by removing it or anything else.

These plastic exterior vents aren't the most attractive things, so you may wish to give it a coat of 'brick red' paint to help it blend in.

Actually, if I'm honest, what I would do is keep that vent and use it... Once the inside skin is opened up (you can either hire a core drill for this one hole, or else 'stitch' drill around the shape you want to remove and gently chisel it out) you'll be able to see that vent grill from the inside. I'd then get a section of solid ducting (make it 6" round or equivalent square/rectangular, not 4") and apply a bead of StixAll around the duct end and press it firmly and centrally against that vent. Allow to set. Jobbie jobbed - and really neat.

Then mortar up the inside skin around the ducting to keep it fixed and prevent draughts from the cavity.

I don't see any reason why that ceramic vent should suffer for any issues any more than a plastic one would - grease build up etc. If it does, it can be cleaned using a thin thingy brush.

(I notice your neighb has an identical vent - are you on speaking terms...?)