Cooker hood vent advice

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by AvagoDad, Dec 2, 2016.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Drill a big hole through the wall. Connect ducting to cooker hood and feed through big hole.
    Then cook some nice food, have a glass of vino and chat about your day to your loved ones. :)

longboat likes this.
  2. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

You guys are all great, thanks for weighing in. The mist is somewhat cleared. Stay tuned for the disaster post when I attempt it!

CGN likes this.
  3. Your call entirely, but what I would do is to keep that vent and seal (a nice bead of StixAll) the ducting end against it from the inside.

This might not be conventional, but it'll look a LOT better (the outside will remain as it is) and there is no practical reason I can think of at all why this shouldn't be done.

Unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

(Draughts? Insects...?)

4. AvagoDad

AvagoDad Member

I think this is the road I'll go down. StixAll = grab adhesive?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

What happens if the vent needs to come out? :eek:

I would rather see it done as it should be done ;)

6. Yes, it's a very strong adhesive which comes in a cartridge and sets to a rubbery consistency.

Expose the inner skin at that point and then see what you have. Kools is right - it should be done properly, and that will likely be with flapped vents so no back-draught and no bugs getting in!

When faced with this sort of situation myself, I will look at the alternatives and - if it makes sense to me - I often go for the less conventional route...

But I shouldn't suggest that to anyone else. :)

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

StixAll will tear the ducting to shreds if you ever want to remove it for some reason! It is very strong stuff!

8. Yep, it's strong.

But not that strong... :rolleyes:

(I am talking about rigid plastic ducting by the way.)

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I know.

10. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

The problem you would get if you sealed the ducting directly to the inside of that air brick is a massive reduction in 'free air space'.
    The holes in the brick ain't very large, it would be like reducing a 4" pipe down to the same flow you'd get with a 40mm waste pipe.
    It would seriously effect the performance of the hood!

koolpc likes this.
  11. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

If you have not ordered it already, search for DOMUS ducting, now part of Polypipe. They do a range of circular to flat adapters, so fit the right one on top of your hood and then run it in 205x60 which is equivalent to 125 diameter round, before using one of their brick size outlets and plates. Being flat, it hides nicely above the unit and taking out the airbrick is much easier than core drilling. They also remomend just taping the joints with their tape and from experience it will last years ...

12. collectors

collectors Member

Didn't notice any one saying if it was gas hob/cooker & is the boiler in the same room.??? The vents might be for gas safety.