Cooker space

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stubber1, Apr 10, 2017.

1. stubber1

stubber1 New Member

Hello everyone first post
    We're in the process of moving house (council tenant) in the "new" house they did all their ten year checks yada yada, but while we were getting shown round the "gaffer" ( jumped up snot rag) said that there was a new regulation for cooker space that was 635mm between worktops is he right or just pulling my pud, as I can't find anything on it unless I'm putting the wrong thing in Google
    Ps I am a time served joiner and have been in building all my life just not been involved with houses for a few years so I'm not upto speed with any reg changes
    Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Standard width for a electric cooker is 600mm & thats the usual opening in kitchens, not sure whether gas is different, but some years ago I had cooker opening of 640mm for a gas cooker,allowing 20mm clearance gap either side, whether a one off by landlord I don't know.

stubber1 likes this.
  3. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I often see 20mm either side from the units below in the fitting instructions for gas ovens, but the worktop still leaves a 600mm gap. Perhaps a misunderstanding of the manufactures specs.

4. stubber1

stubber1 New Member

It must of been off his oven then haha he just said specs for ovens are now 635mm
    I did think he was taking the mick
    When they put the new kitchen in our current house they couldn't put the stop cock behind a cupboard with a hole in because that wasn't to regs either so we ended up with a 150mm gap by the oven
    Cheers chaps