Cooker switch as isolator for outdoor socket.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Nov 19, 2015.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Just reading another forum and someone wants to spur from a twin socket on the ring main to an outdoor socket but wants to be able to isolate the outdoor socket when not in use.

Someone suggested replacing the internal twin socket with a cooker switch/socket outlet instead.

[​IMG]

I thought it was quite a good idea, is there any regs breaches anywhere, I cant think of any.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I can't see anything wrong with that either Pete, after all it's no different to putting a DP switch there fed from the socket is it.

3. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Wouldn't a FSU be more acceptable??
    As in single socket in 1 side of a double box and FSU in the other??

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yeah could always place a label saying "outside". BG's outdoor sockets have clasps with holes in allowing you to isolate by using a little padlock which is handy

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Very good idea! I might do this. I don't like the idea of leaving it live all the time.could just use a standard surface mounted box.

6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Personally I would have chopped a single box in next to the socket and used a DP switch but this way avoids any mess as it will be a direct replacement for the socket and should fit in a 25mm box with only 2.5s in there. You loose one socket outlet but I thought it was a neat idea.

tore81 likes this.
  7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Why use an FCU, it's feeding a socket?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No-one asking about RCD?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Good point Handy!

10. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Drop the ampage down unless it's needed?? Plumber not spark I asked a question

11. Owain

Owain Member

no problem provided it's not likely to be mistaken for the cooker isolator when the chip pan is flaming.

12. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

No discrimination on a 13A down to 1A 'plugtop' fuse

13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Perfectly possible to do and a neat solution, but I'd say a 35mm backbox is needed.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Will give you some wiggle room.:)

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

35mm boxes are a MUST with a pair of Fathands ;)