Copper pipe furniture

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DIYDave., May 30, 2016.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This seems to be a growing trend at the moment and seen loads of it around both on the net and also in local shops, take a look;

http://steelrootsdesign.co.uk/product-category/copper-furniture/

Like most things, a matter of personal taste but I fancy building a storage rack out of 22mm copper pipe and old scaf boards, sanded and with a wax finish

Can obviously make myself a hell of a lot cheaper than buying and watched a few videos for ideas. The tube is just glued together using Gorilla glue and regular end feed fittings. That's all simple but how to keep the copper looking nice and shiny ? haven't seen that mentioned on any videos that I've watched

Some people may want the natural tarnishing process and be happy with that finish but what about a spray laquer maybe to keep it shiny

Any thoughts or ideas please peeps :) Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Was in posh house other day, lady had a bookcase about 1mtr wide & about 2.1mtr high made from 28mm copper pipe, with book end in 15mm reduced down from 28mm.
    I must say it look darn impressive & got me thinking, a bit of googling & copper is the latest fashion.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a cd rack

[​IMG]

CGN likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Found what I was looking for, this is brilliant!:):)
    A great water feature for your garden.

[​IMG]

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yep exactly Kiab

Some of it seems pretty pointless to me but as I say, all personal taste

When you work out the actual material costs, taking into account my labour is free, then you can see a hefty mark up and profit - but that's fair enough, firms have gotta make a profit and other (hidden) costs involved

All looking nice and shiny as well in your pictures but, how do you keep it this way (without regular polishing)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's sells very well.

As to sealer, most likely something like ProtectaClear.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

[QUOTE="DIYDave., post: 1424656, member: 103844"
    how do you keep it this way (without regular polishing)[/QUOTE]

Wiped over with TUNG OIL twice a year protects the copper from tarnishing, keep well away from any lacquer type coating!;):rolleyes:

7. Wow - that is nice! :)

One word of caution, I think; use 28mm pipe 'cos copper ain't that strong and there's no cross-bracing in any of these designs as far as I can see (can you get 45o Tees?!)

Good hint on keeping it shiny, Astra. Whenever I've tried keeping non-ferrous metals nice and shiny using lacquer, it seems to fail after a while with tarnish forming under the skin. And then you can't even re-polish the darned thing... :oops:

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Hey, nice 90o cross-tee, KIAB :).

Now, about that 45o tee I was after... :p

(Or, to put it another way, how would you connect that X-tee into the corners of a square frame? :rolleyes: )

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use obtuse bends for cross bracing.

[​IMG]
    You tee, only in 40mm, can no longer find my 28mm linky.:(

11. You soooo photoshopped that tee :p

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. Oooooh - that's nice :)

You can add balls to yer furniture :D

(Seriously - they are nice. And surprisingly affordable. But why would you stick that inside a tank...? :( )

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2016-5-30_19-31-57.jpeg

You can see them:)

Only need to buy yourself three of them.:p

upload_2016-5-30_19-35-13.jpeg

Loads of uses...

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. You've been looking at my medical records... :oops:

KIAB likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. Andrew Whiteman

Andrew Whiteman New Member

there's a multi-purpose cleaner for metals etc. called Vistal which leaves a protective coat of glycerine that keeps metals shinier for longer, but it's not permanent.