Cordless drill / driver needed

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by koolpc, Apr 9, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I need a cordless drill/driver. I have had a Ryobi but it was pants as battery kept dying etc. Doesnt need to have a hammer action.

Can someone recommend a decent one for under £80. Ta

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

No offence but you won't get anything half decent for that price.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

With a lot of the cheaper tack, you can't get spares or extra batteries, stick with a quailty brands Bosch, Makita, etc, at least they will come with a 3 year warrenty.

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Still looking. Makita seem like the trades go to make?

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Recently bought a new Makita 10.8v drill/driver wih slide on batteries from T***stop. Bloody brill bit of kit,but dearer than 80 quid. You get what you pay for. ;)

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

ITS were doing the 10.8 Makita twin pack for £100 + VAT.

8. malkie129

Good price Chippie, but were they getting rid of the old "plug-in" stock before they started selling the new slide-in range?:rolleyes:

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It was a plug in but I wanted it for lightness, I have 18V IiOn for when I need grunt and it was the new model with hammer, not that I will use it.

10. malkie129

Bit like me Mate. I only want a light cordless for quick jobs,otherwise 240v kit. :)

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I visited lidl at the weekend :oops: saw a drill driver impact thingy 12v.

I think you can change the heads over for drilling etc, didn't take much notice now.

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I want something that can drill and screwdriver and be very reliable and good battery. Got a fair bit of DIY lined up!

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It doesn't mention about the battery capacity measured in Ah.

2 batteries is essential as you can use while the other charges.

Does seem cheap and with the 3 year warranty.

An impact wrench doesn't have a chuck, so cant use drill bits unless shanked, but never tried. But having both a drill and impact does speed up work heavily.

15. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I have a drill but its corded. I will be wanting a Chisel / Hammer drill too..........Good solid one.

16. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

I bought the makita 10.8v combi drill and impact driver set in black carry bag with free makita tool bits £120 delivered. Highly reccomend it.
    Impact driver will help get screws in yes.
    The makita cordless drill does have hammer but not chisel (you'd be looking at 18v if not corded) and I have used it to put shelf brackets up in celcon bricks. Probably wouldn't go through concrete very easy.

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

18. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Apparently, the average life use of a DIY tool is just 30 minutes.

So on that basis just buy a cheap one, if it lasts, happy days.
    There is no point in speeding serious money on something that wont come out of its case for months on end.

19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I may need it for quite a lot of DIY as we are hoping to move house! May have a ton of stuff to do.

20. malkie129

In that case,spend some money & buy something decent. Both Bosch (the blue ones) and Makita give 3 year warranties. BTW, our hosts aren't the only place to buy power tools. Suggest you look arround a bit. ;)