Cordless drill / driver needed

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by koolpc, Apr 9, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

malkie129 likes this.
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

An impact driver is great for screws and bolts and is light, an 18V combi is good for drilling wood, steel, and bricks but is fairly heavy, an SDS is bluddy brilliant at drilling bricks and concrete but will either be heavy or expensive.
    I have all of them in different voltages and the SDS rarely leaves the garage now and the 10.8 V gear is great in the workshop but doesn't have the grunt of 18 V.
    If you think you are going to be doing a lot I would get a 18V Lion twinset from either Makita or DeWalt or Bosch.
    Ignore the sheds home brands and Ryobi, it will cost more but they will last and they just work better.
    ITS do some good deals but shop around, you probably don't need the latest model with the fastest charger or a brushless motor or 5Ah batteries so look for end of line stock.

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Don't be swayed by the Stanley name. At one time,they were great tools. Now they are built to a price, which is inflated if they have the Fatmax label. :(:(:(

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Cheers guys. Great advice

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I hear some say you can use an impact driver to drill too? If so i may go for one. Only for drilling into wood as well though.

Trying to find a decent one.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can but only with drill bits with a 1/4" shank and if the going gets tough it will start ratcheting.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Only 1.3Ah batteries as opposed to the 3Ah batteries on the drill I linked to so they will need charging over twice as often, for the extra £25 it's not worth the hassle, my smallest battery is 2Ah and that's basically cover while the 4Ah batteries are charging.

10. malkie129

I spotted that chippie,but you beat me to it. :p

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You must be the slowest typist in the world.:p:p

12. malkie129

Yep, I think that I can claim that title!:D

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Ok, thanks. So, that battery would not last long? Is it that bad? No idea so sorry for nube questions guys

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

15. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I too would recommend the http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb...-cordless-combi-drill/9647j?_requestid=144645 that KIAB suggested. It is £83+VAT and is Pro/trade. A lot of tools in the DIY sheds are often only DIY rated.

I have an earlier version of the Bosch - still going after around 4 years with two batteries.

In the end, you also need to hold them and see how they feel - Bosch fit me well whereas a friend does not like them. He swears by DeWalt, which are not comfortable for me. Fein make a great one - but way out of your budget and I can hold that comfortably too.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're doing up a house that has power in it and you want to do it on the cheap and don't mind the inconvenience of a cable I would buy a cheap SDS with an SDS chuck attachment so you can drill, hammer and chisel and then buy a decent impact driver.
    If you go cordless you have to spend the money or the batteries will be rubbish but you can get semi-decent corded gear very cheaply.

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I am going to buy an SDS too. I do need a cordless driver though.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

A cordless screwdriver and a cordless drill are very different beasts and a decent one of either will cost more money than it appears you are willing to spend judging by the cheap tat you keep linking to.

malkie129 likes this.
  19. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

20. malkie129