Cordless drill for woodwork

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Robbie H, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

Hi folks

so my trusty old drill has given up so I'm looking at getting a new cordless drill. I have been reading reviews but could do with some help.

I am planning to be building Racking, shelves and possibly some more Vivariums for snakes and lizards. But you never know I might need to fix some of these things to walls so that ability might be handy as well.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Budget is up to 150 pounds but closer to 100 would be nice

Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

Thanks, I have been reading over many of the reviews I guess they are all pretty similar, I was going for the 99 quid makita but saw someone complaining about there batteries, so then I thought I would have the hitachi as it had slightly more powerful batteries, then I spotted the twin pack of combi drill and drill driver for an extra 50 quid :) it would make my jobs go alot faster if I could just switch drill instead of switching bits all the time :) but as I usually pilot drill everything I wasn't sure if that was a waste of money.

anyway think I will go with them anyway just for convenience.

Thanks

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Personally I would go for a combi drill just so you've got the option of the occasional masonry drilling, as long as you don't mind a slightly heavier drill( in general ) , the ni-cd makitas are good , had one for years however the slight extra cost to go to li-ion batteries is well worth it. What exact one to go for though is your choice, there's not a lot in it imo as long as you go for a decent brand ; makita , dewalt, blue bosch or hitachi. I'd personally go for 18v although a 14v would probably be fine for you.
    You will probably find having an extra drill driver or impact driver handy so if there's a combo kit that's not much more then well worth it.

5. Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

6. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

differences spec wise seem pretty negligible, main difference is first one has a 40min charger and slide type batteries, other one has hour charger and push in batteries, first one states slightly more torque in it's combi drill but a max drilling capacity in wood of 38mm oppose to the others 45mm. and the second one appears around 600g lighter than the first. first one appears to have belt clips on them too.
    I don't think you'll see a notable difference though performance wise, you don't really need the extra torque for what you've described so I'd probably say the second since it's a tad lighter and is saying a better capacity for wood drilling ( although I've never paid attention to those things on drills before)

7. Robbie H

Robbie H New Member

Thanks R.W that's a great help :)

8. samcutche

samcutche New Member

combi drill sounds like a better deal. You can use it on a variety of things than the usual one.

9. plane-it

plane-it Member

Look out for combi twin pack offers, I have 5 cordless on the go (some pretty ancient), more is better, makes jobs so much easier than swapping bits. Check out B&Q specials on Ryobi twin packs (some with impact drivers going real cheap).