Core drill issues

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Apr 12, 2015.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Folks,

I've just bought a core drill set, http://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-3-diamond-core-kit/96229, and have come up with a couple of issues.

It turn out my drill, (a WORX SDS bought about 4 years ago) wasn't really suitable... it doesn't have a safety clutch.

I've managed to cut a couple of holes in some breeze block, but I've managed to bend the pilot bit in the process...
    Completly my fault... I didn't realise that you had to drill the pilot hole first, then use the core unit with the supplied drill only as a guide...

Anyway, two questions, I bought the Erbauer kit, and the supplied pilot bit is 8mm... can I replace it with this one, which is 10mm;

http://www.screwfix.com/p/diamond-c...rch-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=172093#_=p

Also, I've obviously got to get a suitable drill for the job. I'm thinking either of these two;

A Hitachi, http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dh24px-j1-2kg-sds-plus-hammer-drill-230v/86484

or a bosch, http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-plus-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453

I've got two more core holes to drill immediately, both through a cavity wall where both inner and outer are brick, a 6" and a 2"

Any recommendations as to which of the above would be preferable?

hanks,

Cando

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Don't use sds for diamond coring.
    Try this...
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/sparky-bur2-355ce-700w-diamond-core-drill-230v/39624?kpid=39624&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product Listing Ads-_-Sales Tracking-_-sales tracking url&kpid=39624&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping - Power Tools-_-Shopping - Power Tools&gclid=CMPB7vSH8cQCFcLItAodUVsA0w

Which has a chuck. Sds only creates vibration.
    You have the necessary adaptor in your kit.

A pilot bit is only required for starting the core. Once started the pilot bit should be removed. Especially if your drilling cavities as they usually fall into the cavity.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  3. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

Once the core bit is cutting in you don't need the pilot, not sure if the 10mm one will fit cando, as for drills a lot of people go for the titan SDS 5kg drill.;) but as long as the drill has a clutch and the power you should be fine.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It looks like the driil bit that is supplied is doing 2 jobs. i.e drilling the pilot hole and then being used as a pilot guide.

The drill bit looks like it has a taper to the end, it is usually tapped into the core adapter, this is then removed using the drift.

5. candoabitofmoststuff

Thanks, but that's out of my price range!
    Any other's recommend either of what I've suggested?

Ta,
    Cando.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have drilled many holes by just using a metabo SDS drill (this had an electronic clutch) - not ideal, it would get really hot, which isn't doing the drill any good. Although any bigger than 107mm will be struggle, you will find that the clutch will keep kicking in.

I have only just brought a Makita core drill (second hand) as it was about time i invested in one.

If you're not drilling core holes very often I would look at buying the Hitachi model,

7. plumber-boy

Neither will be up to the job Cando go for the titan that way you get the drill for the job and not a big hole in your budget.

8. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Neither of those two drills are suitable for cores as one has a maximum drilling capacity in masonry of 20mm and the other 24mm.
    You need a chucked drill designed for the job.

9. candoabitofmoststuff

10. plumber-boy

That's the one Cando, and 8mm pilot.;)

11. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Max. drilling capacity in masonry 32mm. [​IMG]
    And the smallest core in the kit is 38mm.
    That thing would last us about a day. If lucky.

Instead of buying cr*p why don't you hire a unit?
    Or forget about diamonds and stitch drill your holes.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  12. candoabitofmoststuff

ANyone know where I can get 8mm pilot... Screwfix don't list one. I can find one on eBay, but not listing in a shop anywhere?
    Ta
    Cando

13. plumber-boy

Not sure on that one Cando.
    Sorry.

14. Friend of mine bought the titan the other day does a good job for the price and you get heaps with it

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

16. plumber-boy

Titan it is then Cando.;)

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Let us know when it goes up in smoke. [​IMG]

18. plumber-boy

But surely the 10mm won't go in enough JIT, even with the taper its still a 2mm difference. Not saying your wrong or I'm right.o_O

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think it will be easier for him/her to go back to SF and get a replacement.

Phil the Paver likes this.
  20. plumber-boy

Agreed.;)