Corrugated asbestos cement roof problem

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Cocat2517, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Cocat2517

Cocat2517 New Member

Hi
    I have an old garage with a corrugated asbestos cement roof. I've recently cleaned a huge amount of dead leaves, moss & general debris off of it (16 bin bags full).

I've noticed recently that the inside of the roof is damp, I think it's condensation, but could possibly be rain water seeping in through the old roof sheets? I'm not sure if the problem was there before I cleaned the roof, I suspect it was.

There is good ventilation at the front as there is a good gap in between the roof sheets and the top of the door frame. The roof was actually dry at the front and didn't start getting damp until a metre back.

At the rear there are a couple of vent bricks at the bottom of the back wall, one of which has stuff stacked in front of it.

If the problem is condensation would replacing some of the regular bricks at the top of the rear wall with vent bricks help improve the airflow & prevent condensation?

If not any suggestions? Could rain water be seeping through the roof sheets?

Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Corrugated asbestos cement roof sheets can become porous & brittle with age.

If the roof is in need of a clean,jet wash is good for that, but asbestos fibres may be released during the cleaning.
    Give the roof a good brush & spray of Jeyes Fulid which is good for killing moss, when dry a coat or two of Acrypol will seal it, it thick & has fibres in it, very good product, very sticky & you can get a bit messy using it.:)

Condensation is sometimes a problem on the underside of a abestos roof when damp & cold.

http://www.acrypolproducts.co.uk/product/acrypol-plus/

3. Cocat2517

Cocat2517 New Member

Thanks.

The roof is clean now already. I'm think it's condensation rather than rain water seeping in, because if it being dry at the front where there is better ventilation? Plus it hadn't rained for 2-3 days before when I noticed the damp and the roof outside was dry.

The roof inside was actually a little icy where there had been a frost night before.

If I do need to treat the outside though then would Thompsons Water seal sprayed on be any good? I know this is generally for vertical walls, but was hoping it would do for a roof too. I'm a little nervous about crawling on the roof to spread/brush on that other stuff!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at product info, I see it being applied using a long handled roller.
    Using a crawling board, a lot safer.

5. Cocat2517

Cocat2517 New Member

Ok thanks. I'll look at that as an option.

Regarding condensation though, if it is that would the vent bricks at the back wall help?

I shall keep an eye on it to see if it gets damper after rainfall or not.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

More than likely all the leaves etc holding the moisture on the roof, constantly wet.

Used Thompsons in bird bath and old wooden table. Works.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Cocat2517

Cocat2517 New Member

I removed the leaves & debris a while ago & it's been dry on top for quite a while.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Leave it & see how it goes, if you got through ventilation it will help.

9. Cocat2517

Cocat2517 New Member

Thanks, yeah I'll spend a few weeks checking it and if it's rain I'll give that stuff a go.

Think I'll try and improve the ventilation regardless. If I wanted to replace a couple of the normal bricks with air bricks is it just s case of tapping out the mortar around a brick, taking the brick out, laying a bed of new mortar, putting in the air brick then filling top & sides with mortar?

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If there's no heating source in garage it ain't Condensation

11. Mr. Handyandy

If it's damp underside of the roof, the sun on the roof will cause condensation!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

If it's damp underside the roof it's, it's damp underside of the roof - the sun would be irrelevant!

13. Mr. Handyandy

'Increase' the condensation level, then.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. Cocat2517

Cocat2517 New Member

Hi,
    Just a quick update on this.

I've been monitoring & checking the roof daily. With all this rain we've had it's been roughly the same, a little damp on the underside, but nothing major, no dripping, no excess of water etc. There was one small wet patch around one of the roof fixing nails, where the rubber seal/cap has failed, so I'll fix that, but generally ok.

However after last nights frost (and no rain) I went out there this morning to check and the roof is soaked! There's been quite a lot of dripping and there are lot of water drops along the ridges waiting to fall. There is also a fine layer of water covering the roof, I've attached a photo, doesn't show it that well, but it looks like morning dew.

So, convinced now that the issue is condensation.

As I say the front is quite well ventilated due to the gap (about 2 inches high) between the roof sheets and top of door frame (there is no condensation/damp at the front of the garage as a result). There are a couple of air bricks at the back, however there are right at the bottom of the back wall. I intend to fit a couple more of these air bricks higher up, at the top of the back wall, but what else can I do to improve ventilation and reduce the condensation?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

15. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

its had it matey, remove and fit a new roof. asbestos is starting to become porous and its better to remove it anyway. It can be done safely yourself but you will need a mask, paper suit and a load of asbestos bags.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You got a 50mm gap & still condensation, I don't think any more ventilation is going to solve your problem.

17. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Ain't Condensation...