Corrugated roofing job - substandard?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MerryQueenofMonmouthshire, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Hi Folks,

I'd be grateful for some advice for a (numpty) lady who isn't sure quite what she should have expected from a job.

The garage (shared with next door, who had the same work done at the same time) was roofed with asbestos/concrete corrugated sheets that were clearly at the end of their useful life (leaking, moss covered etc).

The roof has been replaced with galvanised steel sheets, but I can see light through the joints - which rather worries me! Surely if light can get in, wind will blow rain in aswell?

The building is about 5.3m long, with a roof that slopes at about 3.5 degrees from north down to south. There are no rafters other than the tops of the brick walls at each side of the building and the party wall in the middle (each garage is about 3m wide, whole building therefore 6m). The cross-beams ("purlins" I think?) are quite hefty 2x4ish planks and there are three of them in addition to the support from the front and back walls of the building (so 5 cross-supports in all for the 5.3m length of the building).

There is only one corrugation overlap between each sheet - is this enough? The light that I can see is not actually the sky, but looks to be light reflected through the joint and visible from inside. There is clearly some bowing of the sheets between the purlins along the edges. Also the overlaps are I think the wrong way around (east to west rather than west to east). Should some additional supports have been installed in addition to the existing purlins and rafters?

I will be talking to the company that did the work before I pay, but I'd be grateful for any pointers as to whether or not I'm just being too picky.

Thanks.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can you upload some pictures.

I hop that the company concerned took proper precautions while removing the asbestos.

3. Yes pictures would be a great help

4. Thanks for interest. No, I have no concerns re the way that the asbestos was dealt with.

I may be getting some remediation before payment, so fingers crossed, and maybe I wasn't being quite so numpty/picky afterall. Overlaps still go into the prevailing wind though...