Cost of replacing Worcester Highflow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Old Timer, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

What would the cost be for replacing a Worcester Highflow RSF 400 with the new version Highflow 440 cdi?

Boiler is in a workshop. Flue straight through wall, sink near by. Plenty of access all round.

A rough idea would be helpful.

Also guess what Britsh Gas have quoted!!!!

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I just had that model installed, just over £3k all in

Comes with 7 year guarantee (assuming serviced)

Oh mine was LPG so I think it's a few hundred more than natural gas

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

they are a very expensive boiler but the dogs horlicks of the combi world, 3 grands about right and i'd guess BG quoted £8.5K

4. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Do they have an unvented cylinder inside? They had a thermal store at one time.

How any baths shower, etc is it supplying? This is an expensive stored water combi, and very good, but non-stored water, on-demand combis with excellent flowrates are now available much cheaper. The Ideal Vogue is around £1,000 to buy and has about the same DHW flow rate and comes with a 8 or 10 year guarantee as long as Ideal service it - I think. So, as a deal and quick call out if wrong the Ideal looks good.

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

brochures make everything look good Walt, that's why they're nice and glossy,

6. Oh you two chust stop it... :rolleyes:

7. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

British Gas quoted £3,800.
    So whilst expensive not quite as outrageous as you might expect!

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

thats purdy good from BG, I'd go with that cos they have the back up, callout teams and any problems will be sorted eventually just goes to show there are niches to be had even in the major players, ;)

9. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

That seems very cheap for BG, you sure they have not quoted you for a 40CDi ?

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

it could be right, its a 'straight swap' so little work in the house, just in the workshop, at the price they'll get the boiler for and pay the fitters there's still at least £1.5k profit, o_O

11. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Hoping the OP don't mind me asking on his thread, but I'll be looking to replace me current boiler next Summer... Did a quick search for Worcester Highflow 440 cdi, found average cost around £2,000'ish inc vat...

It left me pondering this... As the OP is replacing a Worcester Highflow RSF 400, would his existing boilers wall plate be utilised for mounting the 440 cdi? Leaving nowt much to modify in terms of existing pipework connections? Maybe 4 hours graft for Mr average plumber to mount, connect and commission new boiler?

OR is the 440 cdi a totally different beast to the RSF 400?... New wall plate needed? Time needed to mod connections? New Flue outlet? A day or two of man hours needed to remove the old and fire up the new 'un?

I'm asking simply coz... The estimates mentioned so far in this thread range from TomPs' 3K and BG quoting £3.8K. Whether it be a simple 4 hour job or a more complex 2 day one, I can't git me head around the fitter being worth either £125 an hour (if 4 hours = Invoiced for a full 8 hour day) or £112 an hour if a clean install is needed (2 x 8 hour days)...

I appreciate the skills of the trades involved, training, registration, certification, competency, accountability if their work happens go BANG!... That a punters peace of mind 'n safety comes at a high price, but REALLY at such a lofty height?... I'm inclined to think not!

12. catchup

catchup Member

Powerflush, Descaler,New Programmer/Room stat, mini exp vessel. New inhibitor and PROFIT
    all add to costs aswell. 3.8k is a dam good price, he should snatch their hands off

13. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Blimey - recommending BG on here now are we, must be Christmas!

From the posts, looks like the the Boys and Blue with Laptops are about £800 more expensive, so why would you go with that? Once put in by someone who knows what they are doing, you'll have all the support in the world from Worcester (5 or possibly 7 year warranty), all you'll have to do is have an annual service (about £50).

BG will typically give you a years free homecare and then charge you about £200+ per year for the cover even though it is under warranty from Worcester. So the recommendations above will cost you an additional c£1.6k over 5 years.

So Old Timer, go with a trusted independent GSR, ensure that he has been on the manufacturers courses and can register your boiler ok. And start planning an upgrade on the cabin on your cruise ship. BG indeed :p

14. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

Update.

The old boiler is now fixed. Inspite of BG saying that
    1. Worcester Highflow is not compatible with underfloor heating.
    2. Highflow is not compatible with zone valves.

When I opened the internal bypass which was tightly screwed shut the diverter operated and everything is now fine. It appears that another BG engineer had shut this in the summer when the heat exchanger was changed. This valve seems to have a weak solenoid which was not capable of operating the valve with any pressure against it. The bypass seems to allow the pressure to equalize either side of the diaphragm.

As an aside I did workout that despite expected savings from the increased efficiency of the new boiler it could never save enough gas to pay for itself.