cost of taking old light fittings with me

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by notajarofglue, Apr 27, 2015.

1. notajarofglue

notajarofglue New Member

HELLO SCREWFIX!

i have 4 ceiling light fittings i would like to take with me to my new house. roughly how much should i pay to have them taken down, plain fittings put back in place with just bulb hanging down and then my fittings installed in my new house?

THANKS!

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

£150.

FatHands likes this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Unless they are very expensive, more than they cost.

Jitender likes this.
  4. notajarofglue

notajarofglue New Member

i think i paid round £100 per fitting so assuming left them there and bought the same ones again i am looking at 400 plus what do you think to just install in the new house?

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

That's very reasonable particularly if he is moving from Plymouth to Aberdeen!

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You really need to give some more details.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Probably an hour's labour to take down. Depending on the existing type of fittings in the new house, up to 2 hours labour to put up. Maybe £20 parts on top.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

"chippie, you plonka!"

funny as funk episode

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Make sure this is covered in the home buyers report, that the fittings will be removed.

Also it may be worth asking the potential buyers whether they are interested in buying the lights, you may make some money from it and it will save you the hassle of removing them.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  11. notajarofglue

notajarofglue New Member

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

When you get heavy light fittings it is essential to use the floor or ceiling joists as an anchor point, or, introduce an additional support noggin between the joists.

FatHands and PaulBlackpool like this.
  13. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

http://www.screwfix.com/p/half-21290-circular-ceiling-light-chrome-60w/71298
    With the above type of light fitting (which is similar to what I have in two bedrooms and the bathroom) particularly as I have old lath and plaster ceilings I fixed a sufficiently large piece of 13mm ply or similar between adjacent joists and fastened it with two metal brackets at either side. I then fixed the light fitting with long screws right through the lath and plaster and the plywood taking care not to over -tighten and distort the steel top of the fitting . I then ran a earth wire to the fitting as there was not one there before.
    Also when you have a bedroom fully cleared say before you have a new carpet fitted it is a good opportunity to do this for the downstairs lights and fit new fittings at the same time as I don't think that many people just use the ceilng rose, hanging wire a lampholder for any length of time.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  14. notajarofglue

notajarofglue New Member

THANKS EVERYONE. been quoted £40 per fitting with paperwork. looks like this is the least of the problems thou.