Cost to connect garage to house?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by David H123, Dec 18, 2014.

1. David H123

David H123 Member

I've just bought a house. The detached garage has all kinds of electrics with a CU and runs under the driveway to the house. The seller of the house (didn't originally install the garage electrics) rewired the house but didn't connect the garage electrics to the house in case there was any problems with the signing off.

He mentioned he was told the underground cabling needed to be at least 6" deep but wasn't sure if it was and certainly wasn't going to dig up the nice block bricked driveway to find out. My new neighbour told me the owner who had the electrics installed in the garage was an oldboy and had been happily using the garage's electrics for years.

Regardless, would an electrician simply be allowed to connect the wire (see picture) to the house and if so how much should it cost?

If anyone reading could do it for a nice a price then I live near South Hornchurch, Essex.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. A sparky should - I believe - be able to carry out some tests on that cable to check for insulation quality, etc. and - if it passes - connect it up again.

He may wish to upgrade your earthing at the garage and/or whatever CU you have there to include RCD protection and sh*.

That cable end looks as tho' it's SWA which is an armoured cable for outside/underground/risky locations. SWA doesn't even need to be placed underground, but obviously it's neater.

Your sparky will also be able to tell you the size of that cable and limit the fuse rating in the house to suit - so's you don't overload it.

If that existing cable chust ain't up to the job, is there a neat (ie hidden) route for a new overground cable? Eg, along a fence or summat?

3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi dave,
    why not get a few quotes in to sort it out. part of the process will be to assess what you've already got and if its ok for what you want and to connect it all up.

the cable protruding through the wall doesnt look very long (and i am wondering if its going to be long enough to strip and terminate or will need doing from the outside - assuming the outside is accessible on the outside wall?

4. David H123

David H123 Member

Just used, one of those job quote sites. There's now already someone round here connecting it, amazing!

He said he needs to be quick otherwise Miss Bagshot the maths teacher might notice him missing from class.

That's the power of the internet.

Thanks very much for your advice.

P.S. Second line was a joke but then again it wouldn't surprise me nowadays!

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

"He said he needs to be quick otherwise Miss Bagshot the maths teacher might notice him missing from class."
    That's assuming he has been to school!

6. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

The short piece of cable you circled in the photo is T&E and normally should not be used underground. It appears to be on the small side, too, probably 2.5mm2 which if feeding all that lot listed on the OP is probably undersized. The problem with using these job search sites is you often get cowboys coming to do the work. Personally I would not have agreed to connect that up. Post a photo of what he did and can you also post one of your garage CU?

7. David, did he do any testing? Investigating? What did he connect that cable end up to?