Cost to rewire shop?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Vern68, May 15, 2015.

1. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Hi all,

I'm renting a shop, and it needs rewiring. I'm hoping to get some advice about what I can expect to pay.

Shop-front room is about 16 x 14 feet, then there's a back room that's about 12 x 10 feet.

Concrete floors throughout both rooms, stud partition dividing the 2 rooms.

Needs a new fuse box with RCDs (what's a good one, without paying the earth?).

Allowing for a dozen (double) power points in total.

Overhead will be spotlights on tracks, so lights can be repositioned. Not sure about ceiling access (could be concrete), so is halogen out?

I'm happy to put in back boxes, bury conduit etc., and do anything else that'll speed up the spark, but I'm clueless about the skilful bit that he'll do!

Shop is in east London (but an estimate on days needed is fine).

Cheers for reading, and for any advice you might give.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would have expected landlord to have done all that before renting shop.

3. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Hi KIAB,

I know, but it's part of the reason my rent will be cheap, plus I get the sockets where I need them etc.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

what kinds of thing/service be provided at the shop?

This will give an indication of the light levels required. Also is the ceiling high or is it suspended tiles?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah! you rewire it, then landlord finds new tenant. I'm a cynical bast***...:eek:

As you going for tracks for spotlights, use GU10 fittings with LED lamps ideally, cheap to run, cool running & no heat, good light & they will last longer.

6. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Hi mate, it'll be a picture framers, ceilings 9 foot high (not sure if solid or plasterboard ceilings yet).

7. Vern68

Vern68 Member

ha ha, K.....it's all signed & sealed - plus landlord is my cousin!

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Your safe then.:D

Is the front used as a showroom or a workshop & back room what's it's use.

Vern68 likes this.
  9. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Any actual advice K, or are you just doing my legals!?:) (kidding mate)

10. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Hi k, you're spot on...front is shop/showroom, back is the messy stuff

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do you want track litting in workshop, could always go with singles or twin High Frequency fluorescent fittings with cool White tubes, good light output, flicker free & no stroboscopic effects when using machinery.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_I...rescent_Index/HF_Batten_Fittings_1/index.html

Track lighting for show room, I use National Lighting, they got a few branches in London, so probably have showroom to have a nosey.

http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/I...ighting/240V_Single_Circuit_Track/catid/85/84

12. Vern68

Vern68 Member

Hi mate, fluresecent looks 'orrible. Ideally, I'd like multi-directional spots in the shop.

Do you think I'm being unrealistic/cheeky by saying I'd do the prep work (conduit/back boxes etc.)?

BTW, back room won't need anything exotic, points-wise, the picture framing kit is all non-electric. I think I could go flouresent overhead in the back room, as customers won't see it.

KIAB likes this.
  13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

For task lighting (out back) fluorescent is best. Full stop.

14. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

You will get a variety of prices, get some quotes and use gut instinct, a chat room is not really the place for a 'how much' scenario

S