Coving / Cornice refresh restoration work - Filler on cracks

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Gooby91, May 7, 2017.

1. Gooby91

Gooby91 New Member

Hi,

I have recently moved into a house and have had the front room ceiling boarded and plastered.

We would like to keep the coving and are planning on painting the ceiling soon so that it blends in.

The coving is plastered at the moment and has a chalky finish.

As can be seen on the pictures, some of the coving has what looks like cracks but feels more like bulges when you run your fingers over it. Is there an easy way to smooth these bulges over ?

Would you advice any particular filler before blending the ceiling to the coving as some of the plaster has chipped away and I would be concerned this may show through the paint?

Thanks IMG_0042.JPG IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0045.JPG

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would use Easifill 45, it's a jointing compound, it's perfect as filler for filling crack, holes,etc, can get it in small 5kg or larger 10kg bags.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Gyproc-Easi-Fill-45-Compound-10kg/p/138960

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gyproc-easi-fill-45?tab0=0

Should be able to rub down those joints carefully with a 120 grit sandpaper.

As to the chalky finish, if old distemper, you might be better to seal the lot with Everbuild 406 Stabilishing Fluid, after you have done all the filling & rubbing down, it will bind the surface ready for painting

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/406-Stabilising-Solution

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  3. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Think they might need a big bag of easy fill looking at that skimming

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very poor coving, when joining two length of coving always better to cut joints at 45 degree rather than butt them together, will usually give a invisible joint.

Gooby91 likes this.
  5. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Think that's exsisting cornice isn't it? Looks like they have boarded and skimmed up to it and lost the top profile don't think they skrimed it cos it's all cracking around perimeter and bad trowel marks

6. Gooby91

Gooby91 New Member

Hi Kiab

Thank you for your help with this. I will make sure to get plenty of Easifill for next weekend and will have a test with the sandpaper on one of the joints to see if it smoothes out.

Thanks for your help!

7. Gooby91

Gooby91 New Member

Hi,

Yes it has been boarded lower to be more or less in-line with where the coving comes in.

The top profile has been lost as some of the top coving was damaged when removing ceiling paper.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And use a sand blocks of various widths to fit coving with sandpaper to keep the correct contour, overwise if you use your hand, you'll end up getting dip & hollows.

Gooby91 likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Those raised lines could either be due to where the coving has cracked and a little movement has occured, the cove no longer perfectly lines up. Or previous repairs, some fillers swell up when overpainted and show as raised lines. Either way, can be repaired to a near perfect finish - cheap to achieve re materials, just takes patience and time

Rake out cracks with a knife or scraper, remove old filler and remove loose material - it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better ! I brush out cracks to remove dust. Then I pva the cracks - 1-5 water mix, let the crack soak up the pva and wipe off excess pva from coving with damp cloth. This helps to stabilise any loose plaster around the crack

Fill with either easifill or another excellent filler is Toupret. Really force the filler into crack and roughly shape with scraper. Sand when dry, fill again to build profile. This may take 2/3 attempts to get perfect

When your happy with filler repairs, mist coat the cove (watered down emulsion) this is to seal the filler and helps to blend in when you topcoat

The mist coat also has a great knack of highlighting any repaired areas that need more filling / sanding that uv missed. So any areas ur not happy with, simple repeat- sand / fill / sand / fill / sand / mist coat

Also caulk junction between ceiling and cove to give a nice smooth and crack free join. Don't overdo the caulk, wet finger to smooth and wipe over with damp sponge. Aim to keep that crisp 90 degree angle between ceiling and cove and don't fill up with caulk

2 full coats of emulsion to cove and job done. Obviously uv got ceiling to mist coat and paint as well. As above, plastering job don't look totally brilliant. Again, once mist coated, this may well show up further flaws in the plastering that may need attention

Good luck and keep us posted with progress. This is my method I've used several times and have achieved great results. Be patient and invest your time, doesn't need to be completed in 1 hit and depends on what standard of finish your aiming for

CGN likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A labour of love job. As Dave said, you don't have to do it in one go. If you've got high standards, aim to complete one run at a time then paint before moving on to next section. You'll see what you've done and is good for morale.

DIYDave. likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not too sure about the mist coat, as present finish is chalky finish,(does it rub off on your hands),whether this is a modern or old distempter type finish I don't know, it might cause a few problems/reaction painting over it, hence the the 406 to seal & bind the surface first prior to painting.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    Hi Kiab
    Mentioned using a mist coat to mainly seal the filler before painting. With so much filling needed, it's easier to mist coat the lot. Not sure on the OPs case as chalky and I've never used the 406 (but often hear you guys singing it's praises) !

Couple of pics of the coving that I repaired recently. This was for a friend and he wasn't sure if the coving could be repaired so I pitched in. Ceiling and wall above picture rail was repaired and skimmed by a plasterer. Then me and matey painted the room - came out well I must say :)

Attached Files:

KIAB and Jitender like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the old finish is distemper, slapping on a mist coat might cause a reaction of bubbling of the newly painted surface, the 406 prevents this happening, by sealing the surface ready for painting,so no mist coat coated needed, straight on with the emulsion.

14. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You have what's called running cove, or run cornice is the proper name. Various templates made and run along in stages to mould coving. I can see in picture it's cracked before and been filled. You need to make good the best you can then paint. Look up run cornice. How to repair run cornice ect on YouTube.. As for old ceiling. Get to other side. Vac and clean. Seal with Pva. Pour plaster over and spread. Make sure you prop up from below until set. Be good for another 100+ years

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Nice job Dave.

Like how the cornice blends in seamlessly with the wall.

Think the cornice would have had more mouldings to the bottom but could have been lost?

16. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton New Member

How did you get on?
    I know its 8 months ago now, would like to know your results as have a very similar issue.

Thanks