Coving end cap

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by pantalonas, Apr 2, 2017.

1. pantalonas

pantalonas Member

morning all,

At an external angled corner of a wall I think I need to add an end cap to the coving. However, the return wall is not vertical, it's angled more than 90 degrees as it is the underside of the staircase that sticks through into the top corner of the lounge. Rather than just going ceiling to floor at 90 degrees it angles from the ceiling at about 120 degrees then disappears into the wall between kitchen and hallway (I hope that makes sense!). I would add a photo but can't upload one through my phone for some reason.

There was something like an end cap previously as I can see that it's been ripped off along with the old coving and the angle bead is showing.

Thanks muchly

P

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not sure exactly what you mean but if you need to stop and finish off the end of a run, then you can cut it as if you were doing an external corner and then cut a small piece that 'runs into the wall' as an end cap.

leesparkykent likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo.:)

4. pantalonas

pantalonas Member

I have made magic happen so there should now be a photo!

Attached Files:

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Make an external mitre as mentioned earlier.

Take a scrap piece and cut a LH external mitre. Take another piece and cut a RH external mitre...this will become your end cap, but will also need cutting at 90 degrees where it meets the wall. Align the two and slide along the ceiling line until you're happy with the look them make a mark so when you cut a proper length, you can cut your LH mitre spot on.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

as above but you may want to experiment setting it a little back from the edge sometimes it looks better that way as trying to match it to the timber throws the eye off

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

This is how it looks

Attached Files:

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For heaven's sake. I'd start by cutting that post off!

9. Or, cut a piece of wood, same thickness as from edge of post to where edge of slope would be, and then run coving all along to an edge in line with the post.

If that makes sense.

Easier to do than explain

10. pantalonas

pantalonas Member

Thanks all - I see what you mean, a bit of trial and error me thinks!

Thanks for your advice.

P