Coving or not?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jmf1971, Nov 16, 2006.

1. jmf1971

jmf1971 New Member

At the moment i am having my new build plastered, it has been dot and dabbed and then skimmed with multi thistle.
    My plasterer has done the corners between the wall and ceilings with scrim tape and finished with a proper corner. We had planned to have coving but his done such a good job we're now reconsidering. But i just need one question answered, he said that with the scrim tape we shouldn't get any cracking, is this true? or am i going to leave the coving off only to have to fill the gaps 6 months later.

2. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Its no guarantee. If its going to crack thats where it will be.

If you let the stuff dry out naturally and don't force dry it (heating or dehumidifiers etc) then you should be ok. Minimal work may be needed in six months but you have got to expect some, with a new build.

3. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Coving can make the room look smaller ceilings lower & out of date. if you want it to look moden don't use coving. If you ever wanted to remove it, you will get damage to the walls & ceiling. Any cracks can be sorted.

4. prices

prices New Member

thats aload of **** i do on an basic day of 260 meters
    and if i wanted i could do 7 days a week but cant be asked it finshes the rooms of nicely

5. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

260 meters a day thats 14 boxes are you sure ?

Coving looks lovely it does in deed finish a room off.

6. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

Million pound houses & flats in london with coving? I don't think so. Just took a load down from the flat I just bought. You can have it cheap, the coving I mean not the flat. Riverside flats with coving.

7. mungo.

mungo. New Member

got to agree with moonshine,customers are tending to go for squared off rooms nowdays and getting away from coving,in my opinion its going the same way as artex!

8. mungo.

mungo. New Member

sorry,forgot to answer the question,if your plasterer taped all the boardwork correctly i dont see any reason why it would crack,if it did a tube of caulk would sort it out

9. prices

prices New Member

260 meters a day ant alot concedering i normaly start at around 5:30am im normaly back home by 4:30pm ur unless i have a private on the way home and im only 26 been doing this for 10 years i should be a bit quiker last wendsday i started at 5:00am didnt get home till 9:00pm in total i stuck up 316 meters i was dead the next morning couldnt move. lol

10. prices

prices New Member

not only that no house on this planet is square or have straight lines at least coving gets rid of the uneven lines round the rooms i go on jobs where the celings are ****** there say there used a laser as i say if the person knows how to use it !!

11. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

personal prefernce on any room that has been dry lined is to tape and joint the corners looks alot neater,then having coving on there,any remdial work such as hairline cracks can be filled with a good quality caulk.
    As for an older property with some irreqular corners coving hides all manner of evils:)Do as the situation wills

12. jmf1971

jmf1971 New Member

Thanks appreciate all the input. I'm going up to have a good look at the corners, let my decorator offer his opinion and make a choice.

13. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

If people want to use coving, thats fine for patching up defects, but i would want to know what it was they were hiding behind it. Coving on high ceilings is fine. What I said is it gives the affect of a lower ceiling & pulls the walls into the room. & If he puts it on a lovely finished plaster & decides to take it down in a couple of years it will damage the walls. Is this not the Case? Plaster coving in Victorian builds look great around fireplaces, but to put coving in x council or 70 builds with ceiling roses is a no no for me. Put coving in a small room paint walls a dark colour, it will feel like living in a shoe box. But all this said long live coving.

14. jonah.

jonah. New Member

In my opinion coving is only really suitable for high ceilings and large rooms

The tendency over the last few years has been for minimalism, Not just in swanky london millions jobs but all the way through the spectrum of properties. Therefore the 'fashion' at the moment is a clean line joint between two planes (Wall to Ceiling)

Lets bear in mind that coving / skirting / architraves etc were invented for a purpose - To cover crack / joints. They then developed over the years to be a decorative element and in some cases rather ornate.

As with any fashion the opinion as to cove or not cove will change and change again!

At the end of the day it's your personal choice. bear in mind you may wish to sell the property. The next owner can always add coving but much harder to remove it, then again some people just like coving

Re-reading what I have just written - I've been no bloody use to you at all have I?

Cheers - Jonah

15. -chippy_john

-chippy_john New Member

It really is a personal decision as to whether you have coving or not.

To add to the debate of whether it's desirable or not; I've been working for most of the last couple of years on small blocks of flats (for different builders) and they all have coving fitted.

16. MTPlastering

MTPlastering New Member

your following the wrong plasterers around then mate, no excuse for anything not been square.....ever.....

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Hmmmm six years for a reply.....