CPC carrying live current, electrician says it is OK?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by M3dic, Feb 8, 2016.

1. M3dic

M3dic New Member

I have recently had a two way light switch installed in my kitchen as part of a kitchen fit, the electrician has linked this back to the original switch with twin and earth cable using the cpc as a live connector to L2. He has also sleeved this at the new switch with yellow/green sleeving and there is no earth connection between the two (I did want to fit chrome or nickel metal plated switches).

When I spoke to the electrician after finding this he said he did it to get the job done and it was in no way dangerous or a risk to my family and suggested it did not need replacing ( the walls have now been freshly plastered)

The question is am I being mugged off, I don't think this meets current installation standards and am unsure as to the risk it poses. This work has been done by a national kitchen fitting company and was not cheap. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank You

2. Seriously?

The CPC is being used as a live conductor?

And he sleeved it in yellow/green?

I can't wait to hear the sparkies answer this little beaut... :confused:

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hi mate are you sure the spark has explained this to you properly? I don't know why he would sleeve a "live" earth wire with green and yellow sleeving. Even the most cowboy like of sparks would be hard pushed to do summit like dat.

4. nffc

nffc Active Member

Yes you are being mugged off. This man is no electrician. There are many problems here.

1. There is now no cpc for this part of the circuit. This is against regulations.
    2. The cpc in T&E is smaller than the line conductors.
    3. The cpc now only has single insulation rather than the double insulation it should have.

This is so wrong on so many levels and no decent spark would carry out work like this. Did he leave you with a minor works certificate? Is he a member of a scheme?

5. (M3, is that you in your avatar? If so, I suspect the solution will involve you standing very close to your sparky, with you slowly bringing your face down to within a half-inch of his - before you tell him the facts of life.)

6. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

NO No NO

The cpc is designed only for the said purpose, running T+E for straps is bloody dangerous and bad working practice. .

I am amazed that people out there do this and think its safe. .~?

The guy you asked to install, is he registered and did you ask him. .?

Seems you have been stitched up like a kipper

7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

2. The cpc in T&E is smaller than the line conductors.

No its not if your installing 1mm twin and earth but everything with it is wrong

You need to get all your facts correct before giving advice. .

Phil Hyde likes this.
  8. nffc

nffc Active Member

I did not know I needed to post all options of cables. Who installed 1.0mm anyway?

No need to be rude.

9. ...pedant...

madhatter1uk likes this.
  10. M3dic

M3dic New Member

Thanks for the replies, I did not think this was right and wouldn't do this even if I did it myself. The company involved sent me a certificate for the work after I raised the problem with them I am now considering what my next step will be.

11. nffc

nffc Active Member

Your next step would be to write them an email stating your concerns. The schemes will not act unless they see you attempting to contact them first. Take some photos, but only if you feel you can do so safely.

12. M3dic

M3dic New Member

Thanks already done that, that was when spark told me it was not dangerous and the company then sent me the certificate.

13. nffc

nffc Active Member

Do you know what scheme the company is registered with?

14. M3dic

M3dic New Member

The certificate is a template from electrical contractors asscn of scotland

15. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Big no no, it cant be left like that. The only time an earth wire can be used as a live is if it's the same size as all other conductors, is fully insulted not using skeeving and is tagged. Ie the earth in a flexible lead such as to a fan. It's not possible to use twin and earth and comply.

16. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

No circuit protective conductor ,
    A circuit protective conductor shall be run to and terminated at each point in wiring and at each accessory except a lampholder having no exposed conductive parts and suspended from such a point.
    regulation 411. 3. 1. 1

Live parts shall be completely covered with insulation which can only bevremoved by destruction. Regulation 416. 1

Barriers or enclosures are intended to prevent contact with live parts.
    Regulation 416. 2

nffc likes this.
  17. M3dic

M3dic New Member

Thanks madhatter always helps to be armed with the right info.

18. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Not 100% sure about scottish Law.
    But if this was a national kitchen fitting company who contracted out the electrics as part of the quote to you, they are vicariously liable for the work done.
    Contact them and tell them you will be chatting to newpapers and sueing them for putting your family and home at risk.
    If you contracted with the electrician independently......you need to get their registration number take pics and report them as they have had an opportunity to correct the illegal work and have issued a certificate of compliance.
    Also contact the local papers..they love this sort of thing...lol
    RS

19. Simonslimline

Simonslimline New Member

BS7671 is non statutory. So not illegal. No excuse to be carrying out dodgy non compliant work though.

Obviously not been done by a real electrician, Sounds more like the kitchen fitter did it.

20. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Since 2005, all electrical work in dwellings in England and Wales, whether carried out professionally or as DIY, must meet the requirements of Part P of the Building Regulations.

Part P is in place to keep you and your family as safe as possible from electrical hazards, and applies to new domestic properties, as well as any alterations or additions to electrical installations in existing properties, including full or partial rewires.

Who is responsible for making sure that electrical work in your home meets the requirements of Part P?

By law, the homeowner or landlord must be able to prove that all electrical installation work on their property meets the requirements of Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence.

Local Authorities have the power to make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any work that does not meet the requirements of the Building Regulations.
    RS