CPC carrying live current, electrician says it is OK?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by M3dic, Feb 8, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Double insulation is for things like drills that don't need an earth connection.

Risteard likes this.
  2. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Then why don't you give me credit as well for my completely unambiguous answer earlier in the thread stating simply "it is dangerous".

madhatter1uk likes this.
  3. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

I'd have said that the list of regs highlights how dangerous it is. It's an observation code c1. The wire has insufficient insulation right next to an unearthed metal back box that is connected to the faceplate screws.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Isn't there a line in the regs that state, 'The CPC should not be used as a current carrying medium' ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. nffc

nffc Active Member

C2 in my opinion. Not C1.

6. madhatter1uk

C2 is if it could become live in a fault condition. As it's already exposed at the ends of the sleeve next to an unearthed box a dangerous situation already exists. Therefore I'd use c1

7. madhatter1uk

Otherwise it's not dangerous, It's potentially dangerous.

8. nffc

nffc Active Member

Not really. C2 is for a potentially dangerous situation. This has the potential to be dangerous but is not immediatly dangerous such as a damaged switch with exposed conductive parts which would be a C1.

Couldn't anything become live under fault conditions?

9. madhatter1uk

No, things shouldn't become live in a fault condition, the power should go off, trips activate. There's no earth on it and its already partly exposed. If it touched the box, especially if it's a metal switch it would be live with no earth. If it was a surface box with a plastic faceplate I'd use c2.

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

11. I hope M3 comes back with an update... :oops:

madhatter1uk likes this.
  12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

nffc you cannot be serious!!! It is DANGEROUS end of. Stop diluting it with stupid comments.

13. peter palmer

Yea I must say a C1, its immediately dangerous, it doesn't have to kill someone before it can be marked as a C1.

14. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Agreed C1. Immediate danger.

Time some of you went back to school!.

Kind regards

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Hi found a switch in a flat which had had recent work carried out. Earth used as a live. If the "sparky" had had a thinky, he would of realised he could of used one core as a shared live. Everything would of been dandy. Twit. (polite).

[​IMG]

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Same site. Shlte SWA termination - No gland, no earthing, **** angle, black as neutral (not preferable).

[​IMG]

17. nffc

nffc Active Member

C1 - Danger PRESENT. Risk of injury. Immediate remedial action required.

C2 - POTENTIALLY dangerous - urgent remedial action required.

If it was a C1 that would mean that there is an immediate danger. If that switch is used it will cause an injury.

This is not the case. Clearly.

The switch will work fine but it has the POTENTIAL to be dangerous. You may use it for 10 years and nothing will happen. But potentially it could become a danger at any time.

18. peter palmer

A car without brakes isn't dangerous if you dont need to stop, would still be classed as an immediate danger though.

19. nffc

nffc Active Member

A car without brakes is not a danger if it is not moving. It only becomes a danger if you start driving.

Bad example.

20. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

A bare copper earth wire being used as a live conductor presents an immediate danger hence C1. If you think any other you should give up the trade now.

Kind regards

sparky Si-Fi and Phil Hyde like this.