Cracked broken Artex containing Asbestos, what are my options?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by _johno_, Feb 5, 2016.

1. _johno_

_johno_ New Member

I'm in the midst of renovating our kitchen, the concrete ceiling is in a pretty bad state, not structurally but the artex covering it needs some attention. It is cracked and has even broken away in one corner.

Luckily before I started to do anything with it I discovered it could potentially contain asbestos. I had a small section tested and had a positive result back.

Now I don't know what my best option is, ideally we'd like to have it all skimmed over but seeing as the artex is pealing away in places I know this would not be possible without scraping the bad artex off.

I have also considered battening the ceiling but this would involve drilling into the artex, so as diy layman I'm stumped.

Please can you give me some suggestions? Thanks guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3kgf5jbfhkl9yy/Photo 04-02-2016, 19 36 31.jpg?dl=0

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Put shaving foam in a line, place slating lathe, Shot fix battens into concrete, screw plasterboard to battens. You could first tape up some 1000 gauge polythene to ceiling, ignore the shaving foam and fix battens over the 1000 gauge . Google Asbestos Essentials HSE rand use PPE, RPE and clean as described.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

sorry can't see the picture

Not an asbestos expert and never tried shot fixing through plasterboard but you could always put a layer up shot fix through. Put expanding foam round the edges and any gaps. Effectively sealing off most of the artex then batten and fix more plasterboard as BMC says above.

Always ask your local building control for their advice as well

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't look like artex to me. And I suspect the asbestos findings.

Was it a positive, or a likely?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. _johno_

_johno_ New Member

It was a positive for Chrysotile. The rest of the ceiling is definitely artex, however in the corner shown in the image the ceiling has been repaired since and looks very bodged.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Apparently one of the least harmful and can be broken down in the lungs etc, and I believe is still allowed to be used comercially!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really