Cracked Cistern Repair

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by wwwdot, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

BG can do what they like, they pay enough tax to please them selves.

If a disclaimer is signed nothing would go on to your insurance as the customer accepts responsibility.

£1 million claim is a big one.

I would never silicone it up i would sooner walk away just interested in the disclaimer chat thats all.

BG would not do disclaimers if they were not legal - they have their own legal teams.

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Just for the record, I have never siliconed a friggin' Cistern :)

3. wwwdot

wwwdot New Member

Already left them with the bucket option, but not happy to leave it like that for 6 weeks. Don't think I'd trust silicone under the water line. Local Wickes usually has cheap contract Cisterns probably try that.

Agree with Bathstyle regarding the disclaimer issue, I would never consider asking someone to sign a disclaimer, If something is wrong then its wrong and I think a court will always come down on the side of the customer

4. Bit Of Advice

Bit Of Advice New Member

Just fitted one today from pts - think it was £30.

Worth it for piece of mind.

5. billybongos

billybongos New Member

Why is it that BG get away with disclaimers, and the ordinary tradesman doesn't have a leg to stand on if he writes one.

It's not fair!

I have a good mind to ring up BG customer complaints department!

6. wwwdot

wwwdot New Member

cistern.

Hotdog I asked the question to see if there was a proprietry product used for this. It was only intended as a short term measure. In this case customer has asked for and accepted my quote, but they need time to decide on Suite tiles layout etc. I'm just trying to buy them time plus I don't have time at the moment. As the best repair option suggested so far has been silicone then I will replace the cistern and leave them with a working toilet

7. debit cruncher

debit cruncher New Member

8. billybongos

billybongos New Member

That was Bathstyle? :O

9. " Only a cowboy would attempt to repair a cracked
    cistern."

he,he,

Took a call , [rented property] ' WC not flushing' removed the cistern and discovered the base of it was covered in silicone, B'sta'd hair line crack! but it wasn't leeking, 'scratch head' hmmm, re-newed the syphon- sorted, no leeks phew! I would have chucked in a new one but it's not close coupled, outlet through a concrete floor , Grrr I really coulden't be 4rsed with the boxing in behind the cistern that day.

AHA , now that was over 2 years ago, so far so goo...................

must go, that's my phone.

10. Vasik

Vasik New Member

Repairing a ceramic cistern is possible and if done properly it will hold forever. I have recently dealt with a cracked cistern which would be hard to replace, because it is in avocado finish (just like the rest of the suite) and these are discontinued. I have searched on Ebay, but only found similar shade of avocado and the seller wanted over £200 for a cistern alone. Here is what you should do: Remove the cistern from the wall, dry and clean the area alongside the crack. Roughen the surface with a sand paper (grit 40). Clean the area again, this time with alcohol (isopropyl is ideal) to make sure there is no greasy residue left behind. Use plasterboard self adhesive joint tape (costs £3.50 in Toolstation). Apply the tape across the crack (see photo). If you cleaned the area properly then it will stick nicely. I would cover the area in the direction of the crack going even beyond so the most vulnerable point of the cistern is completely reinforced. When finished, mix up a good quality (2 part) resin (again costs about £5 in Toolstation). Spread the resin over the joint tape. Ideally, lay the cistern down so the crack is facing upwards and is on horizontal level. That way the resin will work with gravity and spill itself evenly across the damaged area. Wait over night for the resin to harden and find your cistern fully restored and ready to serve you for years coming..take your time when doing a job like this. patience will guarantee high quality result. Regards all, Vasik

Attached Files:

11. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Not sure why you have resurrected an 8 year post.....

But why would you risk a repair like that? Would you be happy leaving the water on while you are away for 2 weeks? No liability insurance would cover you if that failed. £200 would have been a small amount to pay.

I've had good service from these people 'brokenbog.com'

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Gaffa tape...