cracked granite hearth

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by incline43, Jan 5, 2014.

1. incline43

incline43 New Member

Can anyone please tell me how to repair a newly developed crack on a black granite hearth which has only been installed with a stove 4 months ago by the suppliers. OR does it all have to taken out and a new granite slab installed.

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

have you asked the supplier/installers why it's cracked so quickly ?

3. incline43

incline43 New Member

Thanks for reply.
    Hopefully, Im seeing them to morrow re; this but would like to know first from some one who has a bit of knowledge incase im fobbed off that its not their fault . The only reason why i think it has happened is due to installing a full slab of granite rather than sections. Alot of work and money went into this and i would hate to think it all has to come out just to replace the scrape. This is why im trying to find out if theres another solution to this complete mess
    Thanks

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's fair enough to see cracks in an old installation, that may have been the result of the normal movement you get in almost every house - but the fact that it's cracked so soon after installation indicates that the methods used weren't adaquate

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Sounds like it was imbedded in very poorly so I reckon the support was iffy, I would defiantly get the fitter back in & try not to let them fob you off.

6. incline43

incline43 New Member

Hi thanks for advice. I want to let you know how i got on wiith the installers yesterday. When i said about crack the main man said cracks happen as they can't predict whats going to happen. I said he was the the expert and proper advice should have been given before installation which he stated we arn't the experts. I mean its only in 4 months! He will send out some men to look at it and hopefully they can seal it someway. Im furious as this still doesnt solve the problem longterm. any advice please thanks

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

do you know if you have a solid floor or a raised timber one ?

8. incline43

incline43 New Member

Its a solid floor and the granite hearth is raised by about 5inches. As i said its in 1complete slab. Thanks

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There are still questions.

Was it raised previously(whatever hearth you had there before) ?
    Or was the plinth/base installed new with your new hearth ?
    What was it built up with ?
    Stilts/concrete/mortar ? A mixture of those ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. incline43

incline43 New Member

Thanks for reply. I had a marble hearth before and it was around 3 inches high. When it was removed it was then level with the concrete floor.The hearth is embedded in mortar/cement and came in one large slab.Does the whole hearth and stove have to be removed to repair this.

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How thick is the granite??

Kitchen worktops are very big lumps of granite and don't crack, even if it wasn't fully supported underneath, it should be supported at distances that the granite can support itself.

Don't be fobbed off, this shouldn't have happened at such an early age.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If the stove(or part of it) is on the marble, then yes, probably need the stove out of the way to replace-REPLACE the hearth.
    I can only guess, but if the base was layed new, it is likely that the hearth was fitted too soon, so base not 100% cured.
    If the stove is heavy and on legs, likely that the crack is twice the distance inside the leg as the distance outside.

I'm darn sure a 100 people will tell you they have seen hearths similar, years and years old, not cracked, almost certainly proving that yours was faulty or poorly fitted.
    Either way, someone else's liability to replace it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. incline43

incline43 New Member

Hi many thanks for very helpful replies. Silll waiting for the installers to assess the crack and see what they're going to do. Worst thing to happen is likely going to happen.All has to come out. Will let uknow what they say

14. plane-it

plane-it Member

Many Granite hearths on the market come with a warning 'not for use with open fires' so maybe high temperatures can cause cracks.

15. Noel G

Noel G New Member

I have exactly same issue. hearth cracked after 10 months and supplier doesn't want to know. Can you tell me how your issue was resolved??

16. Peter Johnson

Peter Johnson New Member

Cracks in granite can be resolved by filling with an acrylic or using a color-matched epoxy to get the same glue. I have used it after detecting crack in the corner of granite. Granite Countertops Keystone are very strong and can get a crack after many years of constant use. You should talk to your slab provider.