Cracked paintwork on Ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by bond007, Dec 6, 2013.

1. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

I have cracked paintwork like flaking off on the edge of a ceiling.

i want to know why does this happen in first place?

Also what do i have to do to make it look right again?
    Do i just paint over it daft as it may sound

Attached Files:

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

movement of the building fabric caused that - strip off the loose and repaint, be prepared to repeat when it moves again

3. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Ceilings often crack around the edges, Coving is a good solution to solve cosmetic cracks around the edges of ceilings.

4. bond007

bond007 Well-Known Member

Guess there been a movement in building fabric again then....
    Is that normal?

Am I going to have to strop of paint and repaint again?

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. proby

proby Active Member

That crack looks to be above a door, we get it on the wall above the doors mainly through kids that only know how to slam doors:mad:. You could try decorators caulk and you can get some flexible fillers that might help.

6. Yeah either of those two could be the cause ;) , caulk might work but you would probably still see the difference in texture or reflectiveness on the ceiling, so i would scrape off loose rake out the crack fill it sand it and repaint

7. proby

proby Active Member

You don't say how long the cracks are, but to do a proper job I would scrape it back put some scrim on fill over and feather it in. The scrim would reinforce it.

8. scrim would probably also show through the filler when you sand it flat or you would have to leave the filler raised which would show as well best just to fill it