Cranked hinges or concealed hinges?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Clive Bennett, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

Hi there

I'm fitting some MDF doors to a bit of 2x2 timber and want to know which hinges to use. I am aware that screwing in to the edge of MDF is not good so cranked hinges and concealed hinges seem to be 2 options. Unfortunately, the MDF is only 10mm but there will be another bit of 10mm glued to the other side of it where the hings will go so effectively it will be 20mm. Please can anyone advise me? Thank you.

2. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

If it helps, the doors are 700mm x 500mm.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cranked hinges are designed for 18mm MDF so might work but I think the side screws will be in the join, concealed hinges might work on the doors as long as the add on was big enough but not by attaching it to 2x2 as it is both too small and too big.
    You need to attach a drawing of exactly what you are trying to achieve.

4. Could you get away with using surface-mounted hinges, y'know like the decorative wrought-iron type? Obviously it would be attached to the 2x1 if the 2x1 is behind the door, but is there a frame surrounding the door it could be attached to?

'Twould be strongest.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

need to know how they are set up really
    are the doors on a face frame where the open doors will be in from the side by around 25mm before opening
    or are you hoping the door will be simmilar size to the cabinet ??

is there any room at the sides for the doors to overhang

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  6. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

Thanks for this. I bought some Cranked hinges - http://www.screwfix.com/p/cranked-hinges-zinc-plated-39-x-50mm-pack-of-20/83543 - but they only have one screw hole to go in to the back of the door and 2 that go in to the side. And you're right, the screw will go in to the join. Would these be better - http://www.screwfix.com/p/double-cranked-hinges-zinc-plated-35-x-50mm-pack-of-2/81955

Thanks again.

7. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

Hi all. Thanks for your responses. Here's a picture of what it looks like: (Attached). Thanks again.

Attached Files:

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You were right with the first ones. BTW the MDF will be 9mm.
    You can achieve what it seems you want which is shaker style doors inside a frame but how you achieve it depends on how you are making the carcass of whatever is behind the doors.

9. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

Thanks for this. Do you think I'll be OK screwing in to where the 2 pieces of MDF join? Maybe if it was a small screw and I used a strong glue as well?

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No, it will fail, take it back and get a refund.
    You need an inset concealed hinge but which one depends on how you are building your carcass and why.

11. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

OK, I'm getting a bit worried now and a bit confused. I'm no chippy and am feeling quite clueless at the moment. Here are photos of the frame and the door. I definitely don't want hinges on the outside. Any help here would be VERY appreciated.

Attached Files:

12. Ok, Clive.

This can be done ok. But you need to take into account that you are going in to the end 'grain' of MDF which ain't ideal.

Chust use your own choice of hinges - flush butts are ok.

These choose the correct screw size for the hinge - prob 6's or 8's.

Make them 'chipboard' screws and not wood screws - ie - they'll have a parallel threaded shank and not tapered.

Then make sure the length of screw is more than adequate - ie longer than you might normally go for smallish cupboard doors like these. I dunno - over an inch certainly.

Then choose yer pilot drill - this should be the thickness of the inner shank so's only the actual thread will be biting in the MDF.

Make out, drill, insert screws to 'cut' thread, remove, insert PVA using a panel pin or similar to get it right in there. Dip t'screw end in PVA for good measure and screw home.

Chances are you'll be fine.

Attached Files:

13. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

Thank you for this. That's really helpful. Do you think I'll be OK going in to where the 2 sheets are joined together or avoid that? Are the cranked hinges a no-go or are they still OK?

C

14. Which cranked hinges?

If the two layers have been PVA'd securely, they should be as strong at the rest of the MDF so it shouldn't matter. It all comes down to drilling a decent pilot hole so's there's no sideways splitting force.

(Another trick is to clamp the door edge as you screw in the screws to cut their thread - this way it cannot split. But hopefully you wouldn't have to go to that hassle.)

I did the same with this cupboard, but the leverage was too great - the doors are long and not very tall, so the top hinges had too much force on them (and the kids weren't all that careful about not leaning on them anyways... So I went for cheap cast (I think aluminium) surface-mounted hinges. These are more than up to the job...

Attached Files:

15. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Those hinges you've got should be fine, if your bothered by the side screw going into the join then don't fit it, just fit the two back screws using 15mm ones if your total depth is 20mm.

17. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Another option to add extra surface area, if you are drilling in between the two sheets, is to drill a larger hole and glue in dowels . Then screw into those.

18. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Isn't there just one hole on the back ?:confused:

19. Clive Bennett

Clive Bennett New Member

It's got 2 screw holes on the back and one that goes in to the side I think.