Crazy paving repairs

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by DIYDave., Sep 14, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    I have a few areas on a crazy paved patio that need repairing, the pointing is badly cracked and a few slabs are loose
    I removed some of the pointing at the w/end, some just lifted out with my fingers and other bits needed a quick trim with a 4" grinder

After removing the pointing, it's clear that none of the paving is secured to the base. It just seems to be sitting on a concrete slab as all lifted clean off with no mortar attached
    I've been reading through the Paving Expert site, and it mentions that when laying slabs, it's not that important that they bond to the concrete, as its the pointing that holds them firm

Now I've removed around 20 pieces of paving and cleaned out all loose material, the concrete slab is in good, solid condition, just looks like the pointing has failed in these areas. I assume I just need to place the paving back onto the concrete and point ?

The patio was laid around 25 years ago and the majority of it is still in good condition

Many thanks for any help

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Really want to crack on with this at the weekend - weather permitting

Can any of you good peeps in the know confirm that its ok to just lay the crazy paving pieces back on the slab and the fresh pointing will hold it all in place

Tapping other areas of the patio where the pointing is intact you do get a hallow sounding tone, seemingly that these slabs aren't "bonded" to the slab either but there is zero movement so I guess the pointing is holding it all together

Is there really no need for the slabs to stick to the concrete / mortar that they are laid on

Thanks for reading

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

As long as the paving sit flat and doesn't wobble, then yes the pointing should hold it firm, as long as it only pedestrian traffic.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Phil and thanks for your reply, much appreciated

The slab is pretty flat and is concrete made with large stones. There was still areas where dry sand had been added to level up some pieces, so guess the sand and slabs were laid after the concrete had set

Yes pedestrian only

Also a number of edging bricks are loose and can be easily lifted up - they come away clean as well. Looks to be laid on concrete strip around 75mm deep. To fix these I guess I need to dig out the concrete (without damaging good bricks) and set on new concrete / mortar

Thanks Phil

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sitting them on a tad of sand then moving them around a bit will better provide a flat base, then after pointing in should be solid.(that's for the main paves). The edging, as you said.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really