Create New Inspection Chamber to Access Previous Junction for Rodding

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Blueberry100, Dec 10, 2016.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That should have been resited outside.

No chance in hell rodding that chamber.

Joe95 likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some years ago had a blocked chamber that had been built over, blockage & it couldn't be rodded, it was caused by Tinky-Winky & a knitted clanger being flushed down the bog by a 3 year old.:eek:
    Then you get clip over rim toilet freshensers they cause no end of problems with blockages, many other things can cause problems.

3. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

Is it possible to re-site/re-align a junction outside of an already-built extension? Just wondering if it can be done after an extension is already built? Thanks.

4. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

Is the 2k for moving that junction to outside of the building?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I reckon it could be,realign bog pipe,taking diagonally across floor which would remove chamber & exiting through wall to new chamber on other side, that would pick up the pipe that has the branches.
    Haven't got a full photo, but take pipe diagonally from radiator to exit somewhere where wall was removed & back doorway.

Trouble is I'm here, not there to have a proper nosey.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Joe95 likes this.
  6. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

7. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

That's what it looks like...

8. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

The arrows with no labels (i.e. outside the extension) refer to other pipes coming out of the house from other locations, one from downstairs cloakroom and the other from ensuite upstairs.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Let see what others have to say.

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Was the picture you took recent or has the extension floor been completed now?
    If it is at the stage of the picture it would be easy to alter the pipework, but not if the floor has gone down.

If you have a picture of it currently that would be good.:)

Poor workmanship again and even worse planning :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  11. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

The screed floor has been laid. The manhole cover is level with the screed. Everything but the tiling on top has been done.

upload_2016-12-11_9-9-30.png

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(:(:(:(:(

13. Doall

Doall Active Member

It is outside and in utility room is a access point for rodding

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looking at above photo, looks like a manhole cover in floor:eek:, hope he never gets a blockage in that chamber.

You try rodding the wrong way, rods will go straight, unlikely to go up the offset branch.

The planning was terrible.

Joe95 likes this.
  15. Doall

Doall Active Member

I undersatand that do rod drains myself the manhole inside house is redundant now and new manhole outside

16. Doall

Doall Active Member

Manhole is now here

Attached Files:

17. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

To be clear, there's two sets of photos here. Doall's images are unrelated to my extension.
    The freshly laid floor with the visible inspection plate in it is mine, and relates to the images with the arrows. Here they are again:

IMG_2772.JPG layout.png
    The blue rectangle in the line drawing is the manhole cover you can see in the fresh floor.

So the rodding of the branching chamber that serves the kitchen and the upstairs bathroom should be achievable through the inspection plate in the new extension, no?
    What we're currently thinking is to tile around it so that there's a visible grout line around the plate. If we ever need access we can break just those tiles off and lift the plate.

We're also thinking of adding a second inspection chamber on the main pipe that runs to the neighbors, outside, just in case we can use that instead of lifting the kitchen one.

It's all terrible planning, but we are where we are. The pipe that runs outside goes under the doors on the left in the photo, and is under a lintel, I assume to take the weight of the building. Realigning any pipes would need to go under that as well, I would have thought? It's a mess.

Attached Files:

18. Doall

Doall Active Member

In all honesty I would move manhole before any tiling and a inspection chamber outside then another to tee into original manhole. As people have said if there is a blockage lifting manhole no matter how you try will damage tiles etc

KIAB likes this.
  19. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

If you have a chamber that is less than optimum you can always supplement it with a rodding eye on any of the lines: much less obtrusive than a chamber. This will allow access for rodding and/or jetting and if that fails then you lift the chamber inside.

20. Blueberry100

Blueberry100 New Member

Thanks, that's interesting. So if we put a rodding eye on the main pipe out to the neighbour and main drain, we could rod both branches that are currently accessed through the chamber in the new floor (the branches that lead to the upstairs toilet and kitchen)? How would you determine which branch you cleared? Or does jetting from before the split clear both branches?