Creating an electrical back box 47mm

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AshMiah, Dec 20, 2014.

1. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

I have a Makita 18v drill driver, what is the best cost effective drill bit ie circular cutter that I can use without going in to an SDS drill to create a box on a hard surface, I think it's a breeze block I need to make some space in behind my plaster board, it's to put in a shower fuse.
    Or any other tips would be great!!
    Thx guys

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How thick is the wall, i.e single or double?

As the box is deep, there is a good change of breakout on the other side. I usually use an angle grinder to cut around the box and the chisel out.

AshMiah likes this.
  3. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

Good point!
    I'll have a proper look to see were it leads to, but I think there are some breeze blocks, so guessing my neighbour I think...

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Firstly, if there is plasterboard, the cut in the solid won't be deep, so no bother about thickness.

Secondly, a 'shower fuse' ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

AshMiah likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Thirdly, if it is indeed breeze block, just use a teaspoon, a plastic one will do!.

6. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

A shower switch rather...
    Your right about the wall not being thick if the cut out is on plaster board... It leads into my bathroom!!
    I got an electrician in to change my shower fuse from a 32A to a 40A for an 8.5kw shower that's running on a 6mm wire. I'm hopping the live wire to my shower switch doesn't burn out anymore over time, usually took around 8 months of general use of the shower switch to burn out on the previous 32A?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If the wall is not solid and is a stud wall, you need a dry lining box.

Like this.

Also the current rating for an electric shower rated at 8500 Watts =

8500W/230V = 37A

AshMiah likes this.
  8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Changing a fuse(MCB) to a higher amp won't stop your switch burning out!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

AshMiah likes this.
  9. AshMiah

AshMiah Member

Not what I wanted to hear... the opinion seems to be split with most sparks, some say an 8.5kw shower with a 40A breaker is fine to run on a 6mm cable, the distance is just one floor, albeit it takes a few twist and turns, the other half des agree and say an 8.5kw should be run on a 10mm cable, are alluding to the fact my cable isn't thick enough or there is other factors that may be causing this?
    I know Plumb World have on their website an 8.5kw shower is fine to run on a 6mm cable... I am soooooo confused.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What kind of switch was it?

I have experience some problem with Crabrtree 45A shower switches, whereby the terminals and connections inside have burned out. this switch is a press switch.

Burn out of switch could be due to loose connections as these switches are rated at 45A.

11. AshMiah

AshMiah Member