Creating my own doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by azizrasul, Sep 19, 2014.

1. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

I have 2 doorways which are slightly smaller in height and width by 3 inches of a standard door. I don't want to buy the doors and have to cut it to size. The doors for the 2 doorways will be doors half the width so that you have to open both doors towards the hallway to enter the rooms.

I quite like the cottage style door or gate (which gives an old fashioned rustic effect) but don't know where to buy the wood. Essentially I want to get the panelling kinda effect wood, possibly tongue and groove and make the 4 doors. I will be using blocks of wood to hold the pieces of wood together.

Any ideas where I can buy the wood? Was thinking of using floor boards but they will fit in flush and I want to see a V type groove between the panels.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Google, V Groove tongue & groove and take your pick. :)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Or use a router with a chamfered bit and bearing to create the v groove. Look at using redwood as opposed to standatd pse.

4. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Now why did I not think of that, Doh.

Yeh Redwood sounds good. Will probably be more hard wearing and last longer.

Thanks both.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Shame. I had a similar dilemma. Two frames (a cupboard in one room, airing cupboard in another)were narrower, height ok. Solid pine, six-panel doors all upstairs, so I cut out the centres 50mm and off the edges 25mm each to make pairs. Chamfered both closing edges(but could have gone one better with rebate/half-lap). Roller catches at the top for keeping closed.
    Looks right in with all existing doors.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  6. antuk99

antuk99 New Member

I once used a product from Arnold Lavers called board & bead that looked good

7. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I did the opposite and made the panels out of doors.

[​IMG]

FatHands likes this.