Creating New Sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scott Cairns, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Scott Cairns

Scott Cairns New Member

Hi,

I need to add three double sockets to my ring main and I understand you can't add a 'chain' of unfused spurs. I am considering adding three separate unfused spurs from three existing sockets or by using a junction box.

Is there a better way to do this?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Best to extend the ring final which can be done at each socket by forming a 'loop': one of the T&E cables at the existing socket is extended to the new socket where it connects, a new length of T&E from the new socket to the existing; then the existing ring final circuit goes from there. Suggest to use Wago connectors to join cables.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Whats the Wago connectors for Doc? Only wondering

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

One the existing T&Es need to connect to the new socket , so the T&E needs to be extended. Is there a better way of extending a cable? Could use a chocolate block I guess as its hidden, but Wago is better (maintenance free and less risk of an accident).

5. Scott Cairns

Scott Cairns New Member

Just to clear, because I am new to this, so I can add all three new sockets to an existing socket by creating a new ring/loop? So, like the attached...

Attached Files:

6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

You cant do it that way Scott

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Kind of, the socket marked "existing" must only have two cables connecting to it, your diagram shows it could have four. Two of those cables need to be connected together hence the use of a Wago.

8. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Like this

Attached Files:

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Doc I rather think its best that a sparks does it - I mean at the end of the job how is the chap going to test? At the very minimum an end to end should be carried out (preferably at DB position) and what about efli and stuff. Maybe all this is notifiable?

10. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Agree JP, I'm just giving advice as a DIYer and am not suggesting the OP should do it himself. My advice is more on the design, I'm not suggesting nor advocating implementation or testing by the OP

@Scott Cairns suggest you get some "professional" advice on this topic to be on the safe side, and not rely on a DIY Bodger ;-)

11. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I agree with Dr Bodgit, Scott should isolate the circuit, take off a suitable socket front and bring the two ends of his new ring to it. Now disconnect the socket and separate the cables. Connect one old cable and one new cable, phase to phase, neutral to neutral and earth to earth, using a recognised connection method. You now have one new cable and one old cable, connect them into the socket as normal and the job is done, all you have to do now is test and certificate the job.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  12. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Easier to extend cables under floor if it's possible, but I'd check that ring you are coming off is actually a ring reckon be better to get Sparks in who can test before and after

13. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

It's not notifiable work btw.

14. GordonK

GordonK Member

I would only suggest th OP does this himself if he can draw a proper diagram here to show he really understands how this will work ....as well as advising which connectors etc he is using ... hopefully the WAGO stuff ..

His first diagram scared me I confess ...

I would also recommend making sure you can test it to some extent with a Sok 32 or equivalent ...