CSCS card headache

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by APWcarpentry, Aug 22, 2014.

1. APWcarpentry

APWcarpentry New Member

Hi,

I've recently decided to make the move to self employment. However it seems to apply for many of the contracted site work I need a CSCS card.

I've been a carpenter/bench joiner for 15+ years and have a City and Guilds qualification in bench joinery. Well apparently this isn't good enough and I need an NVQ.

I'm the provider for my wife a 3 kids under 7 - there's no way I can afford to miss work (I'm still employed at the moment) to go back to college to get an NVQ. I'm also struggling to find courses that aren't for learners!

Are there any ways around this?!

Any Advice appreciated

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

C&G should be enough. CSCS card, you could go for the basic card which will get you on site,,, It won't list your qualifications though, but tell the gaffer what skills you have and he might just give you a chance

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

hi, i know what you mean, i have 16 City & Guilds in Civil Enginnering, I too have been told I need NVQs ( not very qualified:)) to do certain works, as for a CSCS card can you not get one through grandfather rights, I could, but then again I got my C&Gs through a CITB collage, so maybe that helps ??.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'm actually thinking of suing the people who are demanding we have cards, its affecting my livelehood and cost me a goodly amount of cash, its a volunteer program they've no rights to demand we have them, i'm making inquirys into it with every solicitor firm that phones me about , crash claims, deaf claims,ppi claims etc, I tell um to take this on and we'll clean up, no takers yet but soon a forward thinking solicitor will jump on this one,:)

APWcarpentry likes this.
  5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Hi.
    A good friend of mine teaches plumbing and does NVQ assessments,I was on the understanding that the NVQ is a work place assessment where the assessor visits you at work takes pictures,you then fill in a portfolio (box ticking).
    The whole process is bull **** and means nothing more than your bank balance is lighter.:(
    I have friends that work on site with a basic cscs card but they are doing skilled work and most haven't got an NVQ.
    Your C&G should be more than enough.;)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

You will need to take the ECS Health and Safety test to get your CSCS card. You can practice the exam here

http://www.system-maintenance.com/maint/electrotechnical-certification-scheme-quiz-pg-21.html

The test consists of 40 questions, every possibility is in this link so you can revise all you need and get your answers right. Practice as much as you need.

As long as you can produce your C & G Certificates you should be ok with a pass from the ECS test.

The whole thing is to prove you have a basic health and safety knowledge and are qualified to do the job.

Good luck and I hope the link helps.

Kind regards

BS

FatHands likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I looked into this and there are companies that will give you the NVQ provided you give them evidence and money.
    It is a rip off and a government approved scam.

8. joinerjohn1

Nothing to do with being qualified to do the job Baz (otherwise labourers wouldn't get a cscs card) Everything to do with squeezing money out of honest workers though. There's the money for the card, and the money to go take the bloody test n'all ( a test so simple I reckon a 5 yr old could pass it)

9. plumberboy

Lots of money I bet Chippie.

10. plumberboy

That's me ****ed then JJ.:p

11. joinerjohn1

Is that coz ya ain't got no money?? Join the club. :p:p:p:p:p:p

12. plumberboy

No! I'm just thick.:oops:

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I've never bought one and NEVER will cos they're schemeing middle management desk jockeys who's leeching off honest tradesmen and labourers ,
    It's a bit like those phone call quizs , who was the first man to win £quids000000000000000
    A. bert
    B,Tim
    C. Adam

phone 091 054 3694 at a cost of a £1 per minute ,
    you call the number and its rigged so you're on the phone for 10 minutes, and does anybody win ??????

only the people setting it up, :mad::mad:

14. plumberboy

I just phoned that no.Tom got hold of your wife she said your in the greenhouse counting all your money and I should phone back tomorrow.;)

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

:):):)

don't hang up so quick next time you tight bas888d :)

FatHands likes this.
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

17. plumberboy

HaHa!!! I had to it took her 10minutes to get to your greenhouse and back,you must have a very long garden.:):):):)

18. APWcarpentry

APWcarpentry New Member

Thanks for your responses.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

I contacted their advice helpline and this is the email response I got:

To apply for a Skilled Workers CSCS Card, you are required to hold one of the following:
    - NVQ Level 2 or 3
    - Employer Apprenticeship (supported by City and Guilds craft/advanced craft and proof of apprenticeship completion, i.e. deeds/indentures)
    - Approved Apprenticeship (for example, completion proof of SBATC / NJCBI)
    If you do not have any of the above mentioned qualifications but have around three - five years’ experience you can apply for an Experienced Worker CSCS Card. This card will be entitled to you for one year, this card is not renewable and during this year you will need to achieve the relevant S/NVQ Qualification. Once you have achieved this qualification you will then be able to apply for the full five-year skilled card. Proof of registration to the S/NVQ is required before you can apply for this card'

I've looked AGAIN into the courses available in my area and there's nothing suitable. But by the sounds of it I just shouldn't bother!

19. plumberboy

Yep that confirms it.BIG LOAD OF BOLLARDS!!!!!!!!!!!

20. plumberboy

Remember NVQ's are work place based not college based.;)