Cut & retain rectangle from worktop.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andy Grimshaw, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Andy Grimshaw

Andy Grimshaw New Member

Hello people.

I'm just looking for a little advice regarding the best way to cut a hinged section for my small galley-type kitchen. I'm mounting a hob underneath the work top and would like to be able to hinge a rectangle section of the worktop so that it lifts up and reveals the hob.

I 'm struggling with getting my head round ending up with a perfect rectangle so that the grain/ pattern remains in place and the corners are perfectly square. I have cut recesses for sinks/ hobs before with a jigsaw but I have not needed to keep the section which has been cut out.

How do I get a perfect corner?
    Should I just round the corners for ease of sawing?
    Can this be done with a jigsaw?

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks very much.

2. Andy Grimshaw

Andy Grimshaw New Member

Sorry it seems i've repeated this thread here.
    I can't seem to delete this one. If a mod could delete that would be great. Thanks.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could do it with a track saw but I can foresee lots of problems in use.

4. Andy Grimshaw

Andy Grimshaw New Member

I suppose i just need a straight line cut to be able to finish off with a jig saw. I was thinking about a small drill hole for the jigsaw blade but i don't think it will be perfectly finished.

What problems do you foresee with a track saw?

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The problem is not with the track saw, it's with having a hob inside a worktop.
    Heat, cleaning, spills, how are you lifting the lid, how are you stopping the lid???

6. Hi Andy.

This is not going to be easy. In fact I'd say don't bother trying.

Getting an acceptable matching cut - something that's going to look decent - is going to be nigh-on impossible with normal tools.

About the only tool I can think of that'll make an acceptable job is a router, but what is the narrowest cutting tool you could use? I guess by the time you've lined the two cut faces with laminate the gap will be smaller, but still...

And you'd have to slope/bevel the end of the 'lid' opposite the hinges so's it clears the hole as it lifts.

And I just can see it being a good idea anyway...

As Chippie says, what will the heat from this hob (is it gas or leccy, bu the way?) do to the sides of the worktop hole?

If you really must pursue this idea, could you not make it a whole section of worktop that lifts up - a bit like the lifting sections of bar-tops you get in pubs...?

7. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

To get a 'perfect' corner you would have to make a worktop in the same way as a door or such ie joinery. Which could be done with a natural wood worktop cut down to the right sizes.

It simply is not possible to cut out a squared section on site with ordinary tools. Possibly in a computer cutting workshop, but not on a diy job.

Anyway most hobs are designed to fit onto a worktop. Mainly to make the transfer from worktop to hob easy and almost level to each other. so how would it be fitted underneath? And think of the mess! Spaghetti boils over, water runs onto electrics and so on.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Not true. But might have to be a bit of a daredevil.

Now, I'm not recommending this for anyone else to do, but I have used a circular saw and jigsaw to cut out for sinks. Plunge the circular to get as much straight line done, then finish corners with jigsaw. Take it nice and slow, and get a nice cut.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hi Andy

If you're stuck for worktop space then post a design of your kitchen...there may be a better/easier/safer layout which gets you a bit more for your money :)

10. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I have seen that done but the results were almost acceptable.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

One option could be a 2 ring hob. Think Howdens do one called a 'domino'.

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Couldn't tell you how to do this or offer any advice but surprised no-ones asked what material is worktop made from

Chipboard / laminate then more risk of chipping and less forgiving than say real timber, dunno, sounds like a mad bad and dangerous idea

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If it was laminate it's impossible, if it's wood it's just stupid.

14. Mr. Handyandy

What is all this 'impossible' stuff ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Obviously nothing is impossible if you have a big enough budget but I dont think this is an option here.

16. Mr. Handyandy

What budget to cut a hole?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

To buy the tools to cut a hole.
    As has been said the basic premise of the job is silly anyway.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Already got a power saw and jigsaw! Maybe router to clean up edges. And a plane, bit of glasspaper.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Go to bed Andy, you've been overserved again. :)

20. Mr. Handyandy

There's another impossible! 'Overserved' ?

chippie244 likes this.