Cut & retain rectangle from worktop.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Andy Grimshaw, Apr 18, 2016.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

:p:p

2. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

But would any of us take it on as a job?

Every now and then you meet a customer who has dreamed up a hopeless project for themselves. Any sane tradesman simply walks away.

3. Actually, Mr Ha's idea of gently plunging a circular saw down through the top surface, mid-line, is nifty. And then you could finish orf with chust a good hand-saw and not a jiggie. It's cutting on the down-stroke, after all.

Perfect straight cuts right into the corners...

It's still a mad idea, of course...

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But on laminate it would chip.

5. Yeah, I knew it was silly really... :rolleyes:

6. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I have seen that done with a circular saw during a mass kitchen fit. The 'neat result' concept quickly fell in line with the rest of the wood butchering going on about us. It served a purpose for a while until a jig saw was found and normal service resumed.

7. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I often get silly request such as this during kitchen fits. The classic is can I edge the hob cut out to use as a chopping board! Yeah a 40mm thick slab of cheap laminate worktop with a paper underside makes a superb chopping board.

8. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Rather than cut out a rectangle, why not cut out a flap from the front to about 50mm from the back then hinge it at the back or is that what you meant? I am sure you could do this with a circular saw and a good blade, though its such a long time since I have cut laminate I cant actually remember!:rolleyes:

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The OP has run away, lets stop posting.:):)