cutting a cross section through 18mm wood floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by deanomc, Dec 9, 2016.

1. deanomc

deanomc Member

I have an electrical floorbox installed in a wooded floor. The final floor layer will be an engineered 18mm oak, however the floor box insert where the wood will fit into is only 8mm. This mean I have to somehow take a thin slice from wooden and fit it in. What is the best way of doing this? I was going to use a plane on the bottom of it but as it is layered ply I'm not sure this possible.

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Try finding someone with a band saw. Probably to easiest way. Also you will need to stick it to the floorbox lid, sorenember to include the thickness of whatever adhesive you are using. Might be worth going down to say 6mm and using stickall type stuff to give you the ability to level it off

deanomc likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

A router may work on skis.

Or table saw, cutting series of groves, then notching out.

deanomc likes this.
  4. deanomc

deanomc Member

Good point mate. Never thought of about how I was going to fix it. It has a metal lid so Stickall is a good shout. nice one.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Could use 6mm ply then oak veneer on top, then finish matching floor.

6. deanomc

deanomc Member

Think I'll try a band saw first as I want it to be the exact match. If all else fails then this is a possible solution. Cheers Jitender

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It depends on what tools you have:

Circular saw; set the depth to 10mm, flip the floor board over and make a series of saw cuts across the timber, then use a chisel to remove the ply. Sand the back smooth to the desired thickness.

Handsaw: cut the insert to length and put in cross ways into a workmate / superjaws and just cut it

Router: Place the section on the bench face down. screw two battens either side. Do repeated passes up and down with a router taking 2mm off each time

Band Saw / Table saw. Use double sided tape and stick the floor board to scrap piece of timber. run the board through the saw with the good face on the outside

Could even use some like a Fein multi tool be a bit messy but being careful it will cut through from the side

deanomc likes this.
  8. deanomc

deanomc Member

Cheers 'sospan' I'm going to give he circular saw idea a ago. If this makes a mess of the ply on the engineered wood then I'll give it a go with a router.

I've just dug out the floor box hole and channel in the concrete floor! cough cough. Should have wore a mask :(

floorbox.JPG

I'll let you know how I get on and i'll post some finished pics when done.