Cutting a new loft hatch

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gotcher, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Sounds like a simple job, but is it?

I've been asked to put a loft hatch in a regular ceiling (brand new house which has an enclosed area above a bedroom under the eaves). I haven't done a loft hatch before so I thought I'd ask the experts. I assume that providing I'm careful not to cut thru a joist on the other side (or pipes or electrickery cable) this'll be pretty straightforward.

My plan of action is to find a space between two joists then drill a large access hole (say 100mm) at about the centre of where the hatch is to go, I can then poke my arm thru to do some measurements and make sure there are no unseen obstacles etc. Mark up the position of the hole on the underside of the ceiling and padsaw it out.

Then I will have to fit cross-members between the joists to take the ends of the hatch, then install the hatch. Screwfix do such a hatch.

I can't unfortunately see inside the space above prior to starting cutting, so whilst I can check for metal and so on using a detector I'll be going in blind. Thus that first hole could mess up the ceiling if I then discover that there's something behind there that makes the hatch inappropriate.

Have I missed anything obvious?

Gotcher

2. BIG BAD JOHNNY

BIG BAD JOHNNY New Member

WHAT HAPPENS IF WHEN YOU MAKE THIS INSPECTION HOLE THERE IS A PROBLEM AND YOU CANNOT FIT THE HATCH THERE?

3. BIG BAD JOHNNY

I SUGGEST YOU GO ON THE ROOF AND GO INTO THE LOFT FROM THAT SIDE AND CHECK

4. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Surely there must be a loft access door already! Go into the loft that way, and check for any obstacles from there!!

5. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Great. I don't climb ladders! Fell out of a tree when I was young and I'm still recovering from the experience!

Gotcher

6. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I find it difficult to believe that any house would be built without an access hatch.

7. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

I'm assuming of course, that you intend putting loft ladders in too, and that is the best place for them!!

8. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

Surely there must be a loft access door already! Go
    into the loft that way, and check for any obstacles
    from there!!

Great idea, but it isn't like that.

Apparently (I haven't been to see this job yet) this is a large new house which has some eaves over the main bedroom. Those eaves are apparently an enclosed space which appears to be usable for storage, hence the request to fit a loft hatch.

Aside from popping into a local hospital to borrow one of their endoscope thingies to do an inspection I can't see into this space without cutting a large inspection hole first (doing a tarzan impression on the outside of the house excepted, and that ain't gonna happen if it's down to me!).

Hmm, maybe there's a smallish pencil-type inspection device available somewhere which would allow me to drill a small hole and poke it thru to take a look - a bit like one of those things a doctor stuffs in your ear if you have earache, only different. A small hole could be filled up without too much hassle. Anyone know of such a thing?

Gotcher

9. Al-Yeti

Al-Yeti New Member

100mm is ok if you can patch it up after ok

Get a metal coat hanger two if poss and then make your self a 50w low voltage spot light which will hang on the coat hanger( obviously you will have openede the hanger up , then get a small mirror , lift the light up as high as possible use the mirror to take a good look around,

Sounds daft but you will be able to see into the loft with the light!

10. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Gotcher,

As this is a new house the roofing and this gable is probably built using preformed truss units. My understanding is that you can weaken the structural integrity of the roof by cutting through one or more of the rafters and there are probably rules on how much strengthening is required to spread the load. I would check with the local building control officer first and be careful as this could also cause problems on the owners NHRBC cover.

Its funny but when you press the spell checker the suggested replacement word for Gotcher is Botcher. I am sure that this is not the case, but funny none the less.

DWD

11. oggie

oggie New Member

Well Goti
    This sounds like one of theese mirical ones that that chippie 2000years ago did.
    Better go see then ask question .
    If you have located the studs you then know distance in between
    Now heres the obvious bit if we use the knowledge that there is somthing behind it then someone must have put it there then how did that someone get there
    if there is no other access then no one has been there therefore my algebra using builders theory from last topic y=x-x =0 there!
    Regards
    AM I A Builder ^_^

12. oggie

oggie New Member

PS
    however if you are very carefull with stanley knife
    cut down middle of both studs cut accross both studs take out gyproc look in
    BOOOOOO!
    dead plumber

13. BIG BAD JOHNNY

GOTCHER when you fell out of the tree you didn't land on yer head did ya????????

14. big all

big all Screwfix Select

just a thought modern roofs trusses a made from minimum
    sized bits of wood but lots off them will there be much
    usable room any way i don't know my self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big all

15. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Two points.

1. You need to go and take a look at the job. Get up in the roof space that is accessible. You may be able to form an access hatch within the roof space through to the inaccessible part. Is this what the client wants, perhaps?

2. Never remove part of the bottom chord of a truss. If you do then the truss is fcuked.

16. kirkybell

kirkybell New Member

17. chappers

chappers Member

you really need to get up in the loft and check out the trusses you may be wasting your time as it may be impossible to get up there anyway.