Cutting a P shaped bath panel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tonyservices, Apr 20, 2015.

1. tonyservices

tonyservices New Member

Hi all,

I have redone the bathroom, and went through a pipe at the last straight.

Boo hoo!!!

Now the repairs have been done, it turns out the floor needed screeding after being hacked up.

This now makes the panel too high to fit by about 8-10 mm one end. Plus an oversight on the tiling has left it too long by about 12 mm, so the panel needs trimming.

It looks about 4 mm thick and is an acrylic/fibre mix. Obviously I never want to do something like this, but there is no other alternative.
    I was going to use a fine blade in a jigsaw on a low speed, but was told not to. I was advised to use a sharp stanley blade (you ARE having a laugh!)
    It has been suggested that I use a fine blade in an angle grinder?

I just don't know, does anyone here have anything please?

Ta much

2. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Just use a fine tooth handsaw .

3. 1970 Lizard

1970 Lizard New Member

We have a p shaped panel that needs cutting down as floor tiling wasn't taken into account...doh! Is the general consensus that the panel should be cut at the bottom ...my husband thinks it should be cut from the top and slotted behind the lip of the bath!

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its best idea to cut the panel from the bottom. The top edge is needed as it clips into/under the top using the supplied clips. These can be positioned so that the panel can protrude from the edge of the bath.

You will need to install a batten along the bottom, as the strength of the panel will be reduced, and will prevent kicking in. If the floor is even then it is easy to take measurement from 2 points and cut in a straight line, though it is best to take a measurement at more intervals to get a better cut. The 'p' part of the panel will need the same curve cut.

simply use stainless steel screws, with white caps to hide the fixing. a fine tooth hand saw is fine to cut with, just make sure it is supported during the cut.

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Cut the bottom of the panel. Not sure about a p shaped panel what that is presume plastic.

Check the floor is level then take measurements.

If not scribe in.

Lift the panel an inch higher than needed then run a small block of inch batten and a pencil over the bottom of the panel. Your line will run with the floor.

Hope that makes sense

6. e30mark

e30mark Member

I'd cut it with a multitool, if you haven't got one then a hacksaw blade / pad-saw.

As you've found out the bath panel is the key to setting the height of the bath, and then the tiling.

If your lucky you maybe able to silicon the bit you cut off onto the back of the panel to add back its strength. Support the panel well when your cutting it, you don't want it splitting!

7. mpcapri

mpcapri New Member