Cutting acrylic sheet

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Hutcho, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Hutcho

Hutcho New Member

I am wanting to cut a large acrylic sheet to size what do you recommend to use for this was thinking of using my circular saw but wasn't sure what blade to use, I have been given a black and decker on a blade I have it says 140 mm and 12.7 mm and 32 teeth
    if any one can give me advise I would be grateful thanks

2. How thick is the sheet

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hand saw, probably the best tool . A circular might work, but the tendency with power tools on acrylic sheet is for the cutter to actually melt the acrylic , which then closes up behind the cutter again. Using a hand sqw negates this because you just can't saw fast enough to melt the plastic. ;);)

4. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

5. Hutcho

Hutcho New Member

It is 2 mm

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I use my TS55 but on 2mm you could just score it with a stanley knife and then snap it like a tile or glass.

7. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Since it is only 2mm

I would do the same as chippie244, with the exception of clamping the part you want to use between 2 timbers or other suitable materials to hand, to prevent splitting & or cracking.

Tip:

Always keep the protective plastic / covering on until all the cuts are finished.