Cutting away studs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by phill85, Nov 28, 2014.

1. phill85

phill85 New Member

So heres the situation. I want to wall mount a t.v. at the bottom of the bed. Only thing is that there isn't a lot of room to walk past the foot as it is!

I was thinking I could possibly cut away the plasterboard, and maybe one or two studs and recess the t.v. in the wall. It is an internal wall between the master bedroom and landing / bathroom. Is there any reason I cannot / should not do this? Stud walling is not load bearing is it?

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Stud walls can indeed be "load bearing", but as you mention "landing" I'm going to assume there's only roof space above. A quick check up in the loft and you should be able to confirm if it's bearing much of a load (probably have some ceiling joists attached, but your not going to cut a section out right up to the ceiling (are you?)
    You mention a bathroom too, so there could possibly be pipework hidden within the studwork. (not unheard of) There could also be electrical wiring within the studwork. The main problem your going to have though is,, What are you going to fix the tv to? Single plasterboard (where you've removed studs, isn't going to be anywhere near substantial enough to hold a television (or even the bracket for it) ;);)

FatHands likes this.
  3. Phil, as JJ says, you need to know what you are doing...

Yes, it can be done, but that doesn't mean anyone can chust start sawing.

Have you seen the way 'Velox' windows are installed in roof rafters? These rafters are spaced just like wall studding, so the rafter that needs a section cut out of it for the window space is is secured and braced by horizontal studs above and below - often double-thickness.

If your wall is load-bearing, this would need doing properly. If it isn't load bearing, you can pretty much hack away with impunity...

But bear in mind it'll be hard to cut and remove the cut stud sections without damaging the landing wall as the plasterboard will be secured with many nails.

(Also consider the loss of sound insulation...)

FatHands likes this.
  4. phill85

phill85 New Member

Thanks John, the wall runs parallel to the ceiling joists, so I shouldn't imagine that its supporting anything, but I'll double check. I was thinking of fabricating my own tv mount which would I would screw to studs either side, or above & below. You do raise a valid point about pipes, the towel rail is the other side.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

...and then there's allowing heat from the telly to escape, and fresh air in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really