Cutting down a hollow panelled door

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIYDave., Nov 3, 2015.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all
    These cheapy hollow, 6 panel doors, got an idea for one, just wondered if you thought was achievable or not, obviously a bit of a lash up but, will it work ...... ?

I've cut one down before, more than the recommended 10mm, replace edge baton, glue and pin, job done

This ones at a mates house, under stairs cupboard so means cutting the door down at an angle, to match the stairs. Hall doors are all this panelled type, cupboard door is just a plain hardboarded door cut to fit so he wanted a matching door

I was thinking the following;
    Cut door at required angle

Replace batons in between panel sections (this will be both edges (stiles ?) and a bit in the middle

Inbetween panel sections, stuff with newspaper and use spray foam to fill say 4"

Allow foam to harden and trim. Skim of 2 part filler if needed and paint

Obviously a lash job, no labour costs and we'll drink a couple of beers and put the world to rights whilst butchering the door

So what you reckon , should work I think :)

2. Yes. Surely.

Just cut it to the required size and shape, possibly after scoring with a craft knife on both sides first to prevent any fray on the cut edges, and then see what you are left with.

I doubt it'll need any further padding inside as it'll already have something in there, but if it needs padding out, take care using foam in case it expands too much. See what is already in there, and replicate it as much as possible.

Then just remove the edge trims from the removed section and refit. As you say, a bit of filler and a sand-down, and jobbie jobbed.

Are the edge trims internal or overlapping?

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi DA
    edge trims are internal, all 4 sides

Yep I reckon it will work, as I say, have cut one down before so am aware of their construction (not a lot you could say) but for the price, they look good

Was only thinking of stuffing in some newspaper between the shaped panels to stop the foam from disappearing inside the door

I think the one I butchered before had cardboard (egg box like) between the flat sections but was hollow were the panels are moulded

For around £16 a door , on offer, what's the worse that can go wrong ! :(

Maybe save the beers for the completion .......

ThatDudeNick likes this.
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Will you have enough at the head to cut the angle across the full thickness part of door above the panels?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Internal beading - even easier :).

The door won't be any different in construction afterwards to what it is now.

And I suspect it'll be as you say inside - that latticework of card strips to keep the two faces apart.

Peasy.

Enjoy.

But don't come crying on here if...

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hinge off the long edge.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks all for your comments;

Door will be cut at stair angle so will mean cutting through the "pressed" panel sections as well as the full thickness sections - stiles and middle bit (not sure of correct terms)
    Where the stiles and middle bit are cut, I can replace the battens being a uniform shape. As the panel sections are just pressed into the outer skin, that's where I was planning on using foam as to try and profile battens ain't gonna happen

As I say, £16 a door, not too much too loose if it goes t*ts up

Thanks chips, agree, hinge off long side

Will update if we actually get around to doing this one weekend :confused:

8. Do you have any sort of G-cramps or similar? (Damn I'm good - I said cramp instead of clamp...:rolleyes: )

If so, set them over the narrower parts, and tweak them until they are just touching the two sides at the spacing they should be at - the spacing you want them to end up at...

Inject foam, and the clamps should hopefully prevent the sides from being pushed outski.

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yeah was thinking similar DA
    The skins on the doors are thin and possibly the foam could distort them as it expands

The centre part of the pressed panels are level with the stiles and centre bit so was going to simply clamp (cramp) a piece of timber both sides of the door to keep the correct spacing

Thanks for your thoughts as always one and all :)

10. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Yeeeeea ha !!!

Sounds a bit of me that , indeed done something similar with our cupboard door under the stairs :)

image.jpg

11. Nice.

But a couple of points; 1- you didn't route a horizontal stile along the top, and 2- your house has fallen over.

ThatDudeNick, DIYperson and Tiny01 like this.
  12. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

perhaps the internet has fallen over and we are all still the correct way up

13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Internet will never fall over. Built on the solidest of foundations now. Hardcore bongo and Mumsnet. Immovable now.

chippie244 likes this.
  14. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

You could use a plain flush door and just add some beading to make it look panelled effect. Make up some rectangles and a triangle where the corner is cut off if its a full size door. If its just a small understair door then they are easy to make. Use some 6mm ply and add an 18mm MDF frame around it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still work in progress at the moment. Need to get some beading on the inside edges + painting

tore81 likes this.
  15. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

The larger door was a lot more work. I used block board and pine to make it look panelled effect. But its not double sided like an entrance door. (Flush on the back).

Again still work in progress. Need to add some beading + paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Blimey, that's a lot of work Nixy.

But, really, you peeps need to get yourself a cheapo router. With a 'V' cutter.

First photos are of nasty doors that were fitted to the airing cupboard when we moved in - they are plywood with a smooth hardboard skin. (And were painted gloss...)

Couldn't be bovvered replacing them, so attacked them with a router instead.

I then routed the walls... (Ok, they are hardboard sheets cut to dado height and then routed.)

And if you want fancier doors to any shape or size, use a backing layer of MDF (12mm in this case) which its front V-routed, and then over-lay MDF stiles.

Routers are grrrreeatt.

Attached Files:

diy_nixy likes this.
  17. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Devils ...nice work (like):)
    I see what you mean by routing the walls too....literally ( ha ha ).

Good tip on the router with V-cutter. Hopefully get a chance to try that idea some time.

18. TT Nog

TT Nog New Member

We had to replace some panelled doors in an old renovation we were doing.....two of the bedrooms had 3 steps leading up to the doorways from the upstairs hall, and some idiot had just hacked 6" off the top and bottom of similar cheapo pressed panelled doors. They look dreadful. We decided to replace them with bespoke oak doors which we made from kiln dried boards. Trouble is they looked so good the customer decided to replace all the doors in the house and we ended up making 11 doors and a loft hatch ! And we too used a V router bit.......

Attached Files: