Cutting floor joists

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by trevenwith, Mar 31, 2015.

1. trevenwith

trevenwith New Member

I am plumbing in a new shower in an Edwardian house. Floor joists appear to be 6x2 (150mm x 55mm) at 142 (355mm) centres. The shower waste is impeded by a joist, though it doesn't sit exactly over it. I estimate that the waste will require a notch in the joist approximately 50-55mm deep.

This is greater than recommended depth for a joist of this size. However, the notch would not have to be completely across the joist - only about half way. It would be approx 550mm from the end of a joist that is 2.5 metres.

Is it safe to notch the joist in this way if I reinforce it with 18mm ply on the un-notched side?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too deep in my opinion.

3. trevenwith

trevenwith New Member

How about reinforcing on the uncut side with some steel plate, bolted through the joist?

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Deffo to deep!!!!! come on chippies way round it!

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi.
    is it something a mcalpine flexible compression may help with perhaps? any photos?

6. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Put the tray on a plinth.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would have thought a metal plate either side of the joist would do the job.

Just don't do this. :eek::eek::eek:

web_7_cut_floor_joist.jpg

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd have thought sistering the joist on the other side with one of the same size would be quite adequate. if the notch is 550mm from the wall, a fixer joist can be 1200mm long from the wall to 650mm past the notch, 8 through-bolts.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. trevenwith

trevenwith New Member

The notch would be for the waste trap below the shower tray.

Plinth isn't suitable because the waste pipe would have to cross the floor to the outer wall and it would mean also raising new freestanding bath on a plinth (plus the lady of the house insists she wants the shower tray at floor level!)

The sistering solution sounds practical though.