Cutting Hardie Backer

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Pollowick, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

What do YOU use?

I was picking some up recently and they had the Hardie scoring knives fairly cheap - so I thought I would try them.

So, attempting to use the knife - score the board several times down to about 1mm deep. Then, in accordance with the instructions, lift the board to get it to snap. Well, that is the theory, but I just cannot do it.

I ave returned to my old way of using a small angle grinder with a diamond blade - however with a score line there it does seem to follow it quite well.

2. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Score and snap, but I use a straight edge / old spirit level along the underneath of the line to give it a clean snap.

teabreak likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Or lay it flat on the floor lay a bit of board along the score(floorboard size is good) (put the score side down or score both sides may work better) kneel/push down on the board and snap upwards.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I used old wood saw. Disc cutter also works but the dust ain't good for you... Go with saw. It's a little hard work but dose cut ok

5. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Multipro all the way for me - so much less hassle! I was helping the brother with his bathroom floor last week and he'd bought a bunch of "No More Ply" off t'interweb. Horrible stuff to work with, and ridiculous glue as well.

6. Aadm B-

Aadm B- New Member