Cutting Longitudinal Bracing for Loft Ladder

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Big Red Ant, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Can I cut it?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

Hi,

Would like to fit a timber loft ladder in but there is a longitudinal brace running where I can fit it (no other options to put it elsewhere). House is approx 10 years old with a trussed roof. The brace is one of the bottom chord ties that runs the width of the house near the nail plates at the bottom of the W.

Simple question is can I cut it to fit the ladder. I asked two joiners (over the phone) and one said yes no problem its scrap timber left behind when the roof went up and the other said no or the roof will fall down so what is the general opinion.

Many thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got photo.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes photo's required.

4. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

Will get up there and take one later - have to lift some of the insulation to show it.

5. I think your two joiners were confused about what the timber actually is from your description - they probably understood it as two different things.

As do we :)

If it's a length of - ooh - 4x1 or similar, laid flat and horizontal across the tops of lots of ceiling joists with a single nail into each one, then these are almost certainly a non-structural temporary bracing designed to keep the trusses evenly spaced whilst the house was built. Really useful timber - I've re-used most of mine... :rolleyes:

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This is how I saw it in my mind, but without photo's didn't want to speculate just in case.:oops::oops::)

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Snap!:)

8. ...will be the noise made... :(

KIAB likes this.
  9. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

Sorry for the delay but photo attached. As per Devils Advocates comments it is a length of 4x1 laid flat and horizontal across the tops of lots of ceiling joists with two nails into each one.

I am pretty confident that it is non-structural temporary bracing but I am no expert.

Attached Files:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

See no problem cutting it,but I would put in all new trimmers first for the enlarged opening.:)

11. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

Can you explain what a trimmer is? Could it be what I thought were noggins? As I said im no expert - I am happy I am confident enough to fit the ladder but dont necessarily know the technical names.

I am going to have to fit new ones if what I think is a noggin is a trimmer because I am going to have to cut out the old ones, or at least one of them when I enlarge the trap hole.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Big Red Ant likes this.
  13. Big Red Ant

Big Red Ant New Member

No problem thank you, I had no idea that was what thy were called - you learn something new everyday.

14. Cool.

BRA, are you actually planning to go wider that two joists - ie is the existing 600mm(?) spacing enough for your ladder?

If so, coool. If not, I think peeps on here should advise further, 'cos aren't these pre-made roof trusses under tension along the ceiling joist sections?

15. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,

I did exactly that 30 years ago to put a roof ladder in place.
    I am still in the house.
    But worked between the trusses ( I think they are called ).
    But I floored the place out as well.
    Its AM now so I cant get you a pic.
    I did not remove any of the existing timbers though.

Johnny M