Cutting perspex

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by backingline, Jun 24, 2006.

1. backingline

backingline New Member

I have some perspex sheet - about 2 or 3mm thick - and I want to cut it. I've tried various methods (hacksaw, jigsaw, scoring with a carpet knife etc) but it's a right b**r. Any ideas on how it should be cut?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

With a fine point saw(32tpi)much like a tenon saw, and cut along(narrow angle) rather than down through(steep angle).
    Clamp/hold it well while cutting - keep straight and don't let it flap.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

3. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

sandwich between 2 pieces of wood, then use a jig saw.

4. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member

For thin acrylic, ie. less than 4mm thick scribe breaking is probably the easiest. There are a few methods **

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

5. sandy

sandy Guest

Hi....ooh i thought us women could *****!! :)...all i wanted to know was ;-..how do i cut a large piece of mirrored  perspex please...now no ******** fella's ...just a simple answer will do asap..in anticipation many thanks Sandy

6. sandy

sandy Guest

oooh sorry didnt realise (backwards hctib) was a bad word  

7. Beeaatching?! You've been given three different methods from 3 different gentlemen. (cough)

For 2 to 3mm acrylic, I'd be tempted to go the score 'n' snap route. Use a metal rule and score gently using a Stanley knife exactly where you want the cut. Go over it a few more times - don't press hard or you're more likely to go wrong...

Place the score - facing up - fractionally beyond the edge of a good straight firm board or table. Place another board on top - again with the score chust beyond t'edge - if you need to keep it all from slipping around, and bend the b'st'rd.

Unless it's a large sheet...

8. Mr. Handyandy

That's the way. Bit hairy(in a scary way) for a first-timer.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Mr. Handyandy

He's at it again though, that Uhandyman.

First showing a scribing blade in pictures to score the sheet(and making the effort to highlight the type of blade), then a video showing a normal straight stanley blade.

Make your mind up.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. gormac

gormac New Member

I've always used a jigsaw to cut the perspex, then once it's done you can give the edge a great finish by giving it a gentle heat with a gas blow lamp.
    Sounds strange, but it gives it a brilliant smooth finish, just don't melt it!